SLED12 SP2 GNOME lock screen and password entry

I have installed SLED 12 SP2 on to 3 brand new HP Z840 workstations. The workstations authenticate using NIS. When the machine boots and the user enters their password the screen is very slow to respond to the keyboard, sometimes the user has entered their whole password and only three dots have appeared in the password box. If the user enters their password slowly, sometimes they can login but sometimes it hangs at the login screen and they have to press cancel and enter their password again. It usually works the second time.

Once the user has managed to login the machine seems to function OK apart from one thing. If the user locks the desktop they are unable to unlock it, their password is accepted at the unlock screen but the screen stays black and does not unlock.

Any advice would be gratefully received as we have SLED12 SP2 running successfully on other machines, though these were upgraded from SP1 rather than installed as SP2.

ROB

Further update. I just update SLED 12 SP1 on an HP Z60 workstation and I am seeing the same issues described above with a fresh installs on Z840s. Another strange behaviour on these machines regards the Internet folder on the Applications menu. As soon as I hover the mouse over ‘Internet’ the screen goes black and then recovers the desktop in a couple of seconds, if I then do the same again the screen goes black again but the user is logged out and the login screen is displayed.

As it stands, I cannot deploy SP2 to anymore of my ~40 workstations as this behaviour is not acceptable.

ROB

Hi
What graphics card(s) are in the systems? Not dual graphics?

If you switch to a console session and tail the journal or parse the whole journal it may show what’s happening, there is /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors-:0 which can provide additional information.

For example;

journalctl -f
journalctl -x --no-pager
journalctl -u user0
journalctl --help

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;37625]Hi
What graphics card(s) are in the systems? Not dual graphics?

If you switch to a console session and tail the journal or parse the whole journal it may show what’s happening, there is /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors-:0 which can provide additional information.

For example;

journalctl -f
journalctl -x --no-pager
journalctl -u user0
journalctl --help
[/CODE][/QUOTE]

Malcolm, thanks for the response. The K640 has an NVIDIA Quadro K640 and the Z840s have NVIDIA Quadro M4000. All are using the NVIDIA driver installed by the YaST install process. As an experiment, I uninstalled the driver on the Z640 and reverted to the Nouveau driver but the symptoms are exactly the same. There is only one graphics card per machine.

The following is the contents of .xsession-errors-:0

[CODE](gnome-shell:2543): Gvc-WARNING **: Failed to connect context: OK
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com/extension.js 106]: anonymous function does not always return a value
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com/extension.js 108]: anonymous function does not always return a value
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com/extension.js 166]: octal literals and octal escape sequences are deprecated
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com/extension.js 166]: octal literals and octal escape sequences are deprecated

** (gnome-settings-daemon:2624): WARNING **: Schemas 'org.gnome.desktop.a11y' has not been setup

(gnome-settings-daemon:2624): Gvc-WARNING **: Failed to connect context: OK

(nautilus:2717): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: usershares are currently disabled

(gnome-shell:2543): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Exception in callback for signal: next: Error: can't convert this._frame to an integer
Animation<._showFrame@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/animation.js:59
wrapper@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/lang.js:178
Animation<.play@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/animation.js:34
AuthPrompt<.setActorInDefaultButtonWell@resource:///org/gnome/shell/gdm/authPrompt.js:334
AuthPrompt<.startSpinning@resource:///org/gnome/shell/gdm/authPrompt.js:350
AuthPrompt<._init/<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/gdm/authPrompt.js:71
_emit@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/signals.js:124
AuthPrompt<._initButtons/<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/gdm/authPrompt.js:197

(gnome-shell:2543): St-CRITICAL **: _st_paint_shadow_with_opacity: assertion 'shadow_pipeline != NULL' failed

(gnome-shell:2543): St-CRITICAL **: _st_paint_shadow_with_opacity: assertion 'shadow_pipeline != NULL' failed

Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2200004 specified for 0x2200008 (YaST2).

(nautilus:2717): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/theme/Adwaita/assets/check-symbolic.svg.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2c00004 specified for 0x2c00008 (YaST2@tele).

The following appears in Xorg.0.log:

97.371] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-2:nvidia-auto-select" [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event daemon; the daemon [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): may not be running or the "AcpidSocketPath" X [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): configuration option may not be set correctly. When the [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI event daemon is available, the NVIDIA X driver will [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): try to use it to receive ACPI event notifications. For [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): details, please see the "ConnectToAcpid" and [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration options in Appendix B: X [ 97.425] (II) NVIDIA(0): Config Options in the README.

journalctl -f gives:

[CODE]-- Logs begin at Thu 2017-04-27 09:36:33 BST. –
Apr 27 09:44:40 epimetheus org.gnome.Terminal[2496]: (gnome-terminal-server:3672): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x18843f0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
Apr 27 09:44:40 epimetheus org.gnome.Terminal[2496]: (gnome-terminal-server:3672): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x18843f0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
Apr 27 09:45:01 epimetheus cron[3774]: pam_unix(crond:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Apr 27 09:45:01 epimetheus systemd[1]: Started Session 3 of user root.
Apr 27 09:45:01 epimetheus CRON[3774]: pam_unix(crond:session): session closed for user root
Apr 27 09:46:30 epimetheus dbus[1148]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name=‘org.freedesktop.hostname1’ unit=‘dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service’
Apr 27 09:46:30 epimetheus systemd[1]: Starting Hostname Service…
Apr 27 09:46:30 epimetheus dbus[1148]: [system] Successfully activated service ‘org.freedesktop.hostname1’
Apr 27 09:46:30 epimetheus systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.
Apr 27 09:50:51 epimetheus kernel: SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=50:65:f3:2a:41:44:00:08:e3:ff:fd:a8:08:00 SRC=158.125.xxx.xxx DST=158.125.xxx.xxx LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=61 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=37571 DPT=137 LEN=58

[/CODE]

ROB

Hi Rob
Hmmm, nothing jumps out as a definitive error, let me ask my SUSE Contacts if there are known issues. Are you in a position to raise a Support Request if needed?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;37632]Hi Rob
Hmmm, nothing jumps out as a definitive error, let me ask my SUSE Contacts if there are known issues. Are you in a position to raise a Support Request if needed?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if I can raise a support request, what is the process?

ROB

[QUOTE=ttrcf;37633]I don’t know if I can raise a support request, what is the process?

ROB[/QUOTE]
Hi
Here’s a link the the FAQ’s https://www.suse.com/support/faq/

Also waiting to hear back from my SUSE Contacts.

Just a bit more info, I have performed the SP2 upgrade on a previous generation HP workstation (a Z420) and it works without any issues. The issue seems to occur on the current generation (Z640 and Z840).

Regards

ROB

I don’t think I can raise a Support Request as our subscriptions are sold to us as an Educational Establishment and do not include any support.

ROB

Hi Rob
No worries, will see what can sort out.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.22.2|4.4.57-18.3-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi Rob
I’ve heard back from my SUSE Contact, can you please send an email
(e m a i l : hvdheuvel [at] suse[dot] com), by installing and running
as root use the command supportconfig from;

a) A non working (Z840)
b) A non working (Z640)
c) A working system (either Z640 and Z840)

Hi
Also if too big for an email, can you ftp them anonymously to;
support-ftp.suse.com/in

Then email the file names to Hans.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;37666]Hi Rob
I’ve heard back from my SUSE Contact, can you please send an email
(e m a i l : hvdheuvel [at] suse[dot] com), by installing and running
as root use the command supportconfig from;

a) A non working (Z840)
b) A non working (Z640)
c) A working system (either Z640 and Z840)

please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks![/QUOTE]

Malcolm

Many thanks for your continued help with this. I have sent the requested files to Hans.

Sadly, if we can’t find a speedy solution to this I may have to revert to SP1. Is there a way to remove SP2 or will I need to do a clean install of SP1?

Regards

ROB

Hi
Are your systems running btrfs/snapper? If so, run the command snapper
list and see if a pre-update snapshot is available, you should then be
able to select this snapshot at boot via the advanced boot option.

Then need to run the command indicated at the boot screen to set rw
rather than a ro snapshot.

Still no solution to this but I did a bit more googling and found the following on a Fedora forum:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1350303

This seems pretty much to be the issue I am having on the Zx40 machines, including the same entries in the .xsession-errors-:0 log file. There does not seem to be a solution in the Fedora forum and I cannot explain why the issue only happens on one type of hardware but at least I know the issue is not my imagination!

Rob

It seems the resolution DOES lie in that Fedora thread. This is the critical part:

[I]Found it. gdk-pixbuf2 thinks it can’t load SVG images, due to a stale /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache.

The gdk-pixbuf2 and gdk-pixbuf2-modules packages are getting pulled in earlier in these installs than librsvg2, and the latter is not causing the file triggers from gdk-pixbuf2 to run, thus the stale cache. Forcibly reinstalling gdk-pixbuf2 afterward corrects this.[/I]

SLED did not have a package installed called gdk-pixbuf2 so I forced YaST to reinstall anything matching the pattern gdk-pix. This regenerated the cache file /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache and the issue with logging in and unlocking the screen seems to have gone away on my Z440. I will try it it on the Z640 and Z840 this afternoon and report my findings.

Rob