SLES 11.3 major releases PHP / Apache / Tomcat

Hello,

i would like to discuss the right way to deal with different versions for PHP, Apache and Tomcat.

In SLES 11 SP3 the major releases for PHP(5.3) Apache(2.2) and Tomcat (6) are integrated.

What or is there a Novell recommend way to deal with other major releases like php55 and Apache2.4 and Tomcat6.

Possible solutions may.

• Use sources from vendor and compile on my own.
  • Use unstable SLES Repositories
  • external repositories ?
  • Anything else ?

Thanks a lot !
Greetings Till

Hi Till,

the “supported” approach is to stick with the distro-supplied versions.

But of course you can install other versions of such packages. IMO, you then should use OBS versions (http://software.opensuse.org), but with a proper sense of caution (anyone can publish packages there…). So if you can get away with generic repositories from there, rather than using individual users’ repositories, that’d IMO be a better choice. When you have to resort to user repositories, try to get a feeling for the user’s work so far.

Going via source (probably providing your own packages on OBS) would be more work, but then under your full control.

Using RPMs from “some site” - I wouldn’t do that, especially if such RPMs weren’t specifically built for your system’s OS level.

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=tbrinkmann;24950]i would like to discuss the right way to deal with different versions for PHP, Apache and Tomcat.

In SLES 11 SP3 the major releases for PHP(5.3) Apache(2.2) and Tomcat (6) are integrated.

What or is there a Novell recommend way to deal with other major releases like php55 and Apache2.4 and Tomcat6.

Possible solutions may.

• Use sources from vendor and compile on my own.
  • Use unstable SLES Repositories
  • external repositories ?
  • Anything else ?[/QUOTE]

Since you mention Novell above are you perhaps using Novell Open Enterprise Server (OES) 11 SP2 rather than “regular” SLES11 SP3?

If you are using OES then you should definitely stick with Novell (and SUSE) provided packages rather than install and/or upgrade from other sources as Apache and Tomcat are used with the web-based administration which OES has.

HTH.