SLES11 SP3 DM-Multipath:Paths alternate b/w failed & active

Hi all

I have installed SLES 11 SP3 with kernel version 3.0.76-0.11-default on my host. I have two paths connected between my host and SAN storage.
If I run the command(multipath -ll) repeatedly I see that paths alternate between failed and active, inspite of the fact that my storage is up and running normally. I have installed Emulex HBA cards and I am working with the inbox drivers as I did not find any updated drivers from emulex.com for SLES 11 SP3.

The paths that go in fail state are random, no fixed pattern. A sample can be seen as:

mpathg (200169712241d001c) dm-6 XYZ ,DISK ARRAY
size=2.0G features=‘0’ hwhandler=‘1 alua’ wp=rw
|-± policy=‘service-time 0’ prio=10 status=enabled
| - 1:0:0:4 sde 8:64 failed ready running -± policy=‘service-time 0’ prio=50 status=active
`- 2:0:0:4 sdr 65:16 active ready running

Sometimes even both paths to a LUN go in failed state as:

mpathf (200169712241d001b) dm-5 XYZ ,DISK ARRAY
size=2.0G features=‘0’ hwhandler=‘1 alua’ wp=rw
|-± policy=‘service-time 0’ prio=90 status=enabled
| - 2:0:0:3 sdq 65:0 failed ready running -± policy=‘service-time 0’ prio=50 status=enabled
`- 1:0:0:3 sdd 8:48 failed ready running

However I am not facing any such issue with SLES 11 SP2. Please help!

Hi All

My issue is now resolved. I had to update the multipath-tools and kpartx rpm through yast online update.

Courtesy:http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=JK3w39tHWT0~

Hi,

I am getting the similar issue.
i have updated the kpartx and multipath-tools rpm through zypper command but still getting the same issue.
For online update i have created the account at novell site and then followed the below steps:-

1. type “yast2” command
    2.select “software” → online update
    3.In novell customer configuration select “configure now” option and checked all the option and then clicked next
    but i got registration error saying that registration code is missing.
    However to get registration code i have filled my details in below link:-
    https://www.suse.com/products/server/download/x86-v11.html
    still i didn’t get registration code.
    Please provide the solution.

Thanks