SLES11 vs HP Proliant DL360

Hi,

We have a few HP Proliant DL360e G8 here, and decided to use SLES 11 SP2 on them (as SLES 11 SP3 doesn’t seems to support the b120i RAID Controller).

But now we’re facing some problems with them:

• The network interfaces only connect to gigabit ports on switch if we use CAT6 cables;
  • If I configure VLAN interfaces on the server, it simply doesn’t communicates, even connected to 100Mbps ports.

The CAT5e/CAT6 issue is relatively simple to resolve (just buy the cables), but the vlans are just getting me mad. :frowning:

By the way, I tried also installing a VM with SLES11 SP3, and it worked as expected with vlan interfaces. But if I use SP2, vlan interfaces doesn’t work, in a very similar way seen in the DL360e server.

jqueiroz wrote:
[color=blue]

We have a few HP Proliant DL360e G8 here, and decided to use SLES 11
SP2 on them (as SLES 11 SP3 doesn’t seems to support the b120i RAID
Controller).

• The network interfaces only connect to gigabit ports on switch if we
    use CAT6 cables;
  • If I configure VLAN interfaces on the server, it simply doesn’t
    communicates, even connected to 100Mbps ports.[/color]

I’m not familiar with your hardware but a Google search turned up this:

HP ProLiant Gen8 Driver Kits for SUSE Linux Enterprise
http://drivers.suse.com/hp/HP-ProLiant-Gen8/

Does it help?

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi jqueiroz,

[QUOTE=jqueiroz;19790]Hi,

We have a few HP Proliant DL360e G8 here, and decided to use SLES 11 SP2 on them (as SLES 11 SP3 doesn’t seems to support the b120i RAID Controller).

• The network interfaces only connect to gigabit ports on switch if we use CAT6 cables;[/QUOTE]

does this only happen with SLES11SP2? It might be an indication of wiring installation problems, in terms of being “on the edge” with regards to noise or other electrical issues.

[QUOTE=jqueiroz;19790] - If I configure VLAN interfaces on the server, it simply doesn’t communicates, even connected to 100Mbps ports.

The CAT5e/CAT6 issue is relatively simple to resolve (just buy the cables), but the vlans are just getting me mad. :([/QUOTE]

If you configure VLANs on your server (i.e. “vlan100” interface on top of the base Ethernet device), you’re running tagged traffic on the link (IEEE 802.1q). The switch must support that .1q traffic for the link(s) in question and needs to be configured to forward traffic for that (or “those”) VLAN(s). Soemtimes this is called “VLAN membership of the port”. If the switch port is configured to send untagged traffic, too, does that work?

If you can share some server and switch configuration details, we might be able to tell more.

Regards,
Jens

On 12/03/2014 13:06, KBOYLE wrote:
[color=blue]

Does it help?[/color]

Note there is a related thread @
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?4233

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;19838]Hi jqueiroz,
does this only happen with SLES11SP2? It might be an indication of wiring installation problems, in terms of being “on the edge” with regards to noise or other electrical issues.[/quote]
I only tested with SLES11SP2. But I believe this is a firmware issue, as the interface is marked down on the switch (Cisco 2960).
Also, it remains down during iLO and Intelligent Provisioning operations.

[quote]If you configure VLANs on your server (i.e. “vlan100” interface on top of the base Ethernet device), you’re running tagged traffic on the link (IEEE 802.1q). The switch must support that .1q traffic for the link(s) in question and needs to be configured to forward traffic for that (or “those”) VLAN(s). Soemtimes this is called “VLAN membership of the port”. If the switch port is configured to send untagged traffic, too, does that work?
[/quote]
I’ve tested both tagged and untagged interfaces. The only difference I saw is that using untagged interfaces, runts are being detected.
[A runt is an untagged packet that is smaller than 64 bytes, or a tagged packet that is smaller than 68 bytes].
I believe that this is a SP2 issue, as I tested it on a VM with similar results.

[quote]If you can share some server and switch configuration details, we might be able to tell more.
[/quote]

The switch is a Cisco Catalyst W2960S, with IOS 12.2(55)SE5.
The related interface’s configuration is as below.

interface FastEthernet0/13 switchport trunk native vlan 666 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11,100,103 switchport mode trunk end

[quote]Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=smflood;19843]On 12/03/2014 13:06, KBOYLE wrote:
[color=blue]

Does it help?[/color]

Note there is a related thread @
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?4233

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=KBOYLE;19836]jqueiroz wrote:
[color=blue]

We have a few HP Proliant DL360e G8 here, and decided to use SLES 11
SP2 on them (as SLES 11 SP3 doesn’t seems to support the b120i RAID
Controller).

• The network interfaces only connect to gigabit ports on switch if we
    use CAT6 cables;
  • If I configure VLAN interfaces on the server, it simply doesn’t
    communicates, even connected to 100Mbps ports.[/color]

Does it help?

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
show your appreciation and click on the star below…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, Simon and Kevin.
I’ve found some support files, but I couldn’t test it yet. Supposing this will work, I’ll integrate it with SLES11 SP3 + OES11 media, so I can deploy this to the other 25 servers.
Note that most of them are located on branch offices, and there’s no qualified personal to cope with this task. So I need to create a well defined installation procedure.

Hi jqueiroz,

for what it’s worth (not much ;)), we’ve been running SLES11SP2 (as well as SP1 & SP3) in straight setups (multiple VLANs on a single Eth interface) and complex setups (VMs bridged m:n to VLANs on a multi-link trunk connection to multiple switches) and did not find any serious problems with it… OTOH, I once had a Linux box (non-SLES) that would allow me to set up mutliple VLANs, but none but the first VLAN would work…

Maybe your VLAN issues are related to the driver/firmware, too.

Regards,
Jens

Well, I reinstalled the server with SLES11SP3 / OES11, and the drivers supplied by HP, and it’s working now.

By the way, the vlan issues were related with wrong filtering on a distribution switch.

Now all that I need is to find a way to integrate the hpvsa drivers into the installation media.

Thank you all for the attention.

Hi
You need to look at creating the initrd file which would contain the
module.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!