SUSE 11 SP1 x64 on IBM System X3650 M4 7915 Server

Been trying to install the SUSE 11 SP1 x64 onto IBM System X3650 M4 7915 with RAID10 8x300GB HDD, but SUSE was unable to locate any harddisk during the installation, and renders the installation incomplete. Understand that IBM requires to install the RAID driver, downloaded the driver from the IBM official technical website, and I am not sure how it should be extracted/placed into a USB drive for SUSE to detect the driver.

The driver downloaded is an iso file, specifically, named as dud-2.6.32.12-0.7-64.SLES11.iso file. Would like to ask, how actually SUSE reads the driver files, as I know from some technical team from IBM, I need to change the .iso extension to .img extension. The installation guide downloaded from the IBM website says the .iso file should be extract and put the extracted files into USB drive. Both method has been tried numerous of times, but to no avail. The driver update able to see the USB drive, but when I select it, nothing happens. Do I need to make the USB drive bootable? Or simply copy the files into USB drive will do?

Please enlighten me on how to install the driver before starts to install the OS.

Really appreciate any help here.

Hi
You should only need the driver file (ko extension) then at the boot
menu there is an option to load the diver.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.101-0.8-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the answer, and yes, I have successfully installed the SUSE 11 Enterprise SP1 x64, but when I tried to boot up, it goes to the command line text and comes out with a questions:

Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-.... (y/n):

I’ve been reading on some blogs and forums regarding this issue,
http://diggerpage.blogspot.com/2011/11/cannot-boot-opensuse-12-after-cloning.html

but I have no idea how to do it, need some help here to guide me through.

Thanks!

Hi
Can you boot from the install dvd into ‘rescue mode’? Here you can from
the command line fix the grub and fstab entries?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;18377]Hi
Can you boot from the install dvd into ‘rescue mode’? Here you can from
the command line fix the grub and fstab entries?

please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes I am able to enter rescue mode but I couldn’t access superuser command “su” from the command line. Apology as I am trying to familiarize myself with Linux.

Hi
If you enter the root password (as in the # prompt in red) you should
be good to go…?

[QUOTE=Deceived;18367]Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the answer, and yes, I have successfully installed the SUSE 11 Enterprise SP1 x64, but when I tried to boot up, it goes to the command line text and comes out with a questions:

Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-.... (y/n):

I’ve been reading on some blogs and forums regarding this issue,
http://diggerpage.blogspot.com/2011/11/cannot-boot-opensuse-12-after-cloning.html

but I have no idea how to do it, need some help here to guide me through.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The messages before the quoted one would be very interesting.

However, it could mean that the driver hasn’t been copied to kernel module driver tree. Did you update the kernel after the installation? That would be my recommendation, because as far as I know the right driver should be included. Maybe it was buggy or too old at the time of SP1.

BTW I had a customer who was running this machine successfully without any additional drivers with SP2.