SUSE Trento Server: is a SLES4SAP required to deploy the Server part?

Hi all!

Apparently, reading the requirements, an explicit reference about using a SLES for SAP Applications 15 (instead of a simple SLES 15) to deploy the SUSE Trento Server part (thus trento-web and trento-wanda) doesn’t appear at first sight, this in contrast with the explicit requirement to deploy SUSE Trento Agent which explictly require SLES for SAP Applications 15 edition to be deployed.

Further reading the systemd-deployment paragraph a statement pops up instead:

A systemd installation of Trento Server, based on RPM packages, can be done manually. The latest available version of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications is used as the base operating system, which is SLES 15 SP5.

so it looks like a SLES4SAP is required also to depoly SUSE Trento Server (but the statement above doesn’t say its mandatory…just that “is used”…like a sort of free choice), moreover a simple SLES 15 doesn’t provide trento-web and trento-wanda RPM packages (which instead are available on a SLES4SAP ← tested) and that make me thinking a SLES4SAP is necessary.

Is anybody able to confirm me that a SLES for SAP Applications 15 is mandatorily required also to deploy the SUSE Trento Server part?

Thanks!

It’s my understanding that since Trento is used with SLES for SAP Applications that you’ll need to deploy the non-container version on SLES for SAP Applications.

The blog article announcing Trento 2.3.1 also seems to confirm this - please see https://www.suse.com/c/announcing-trento-version-2-3-1/ - and as you say it’s only SLES for SAP Applications which provides the Trento packages.

Hi! thanks for answering and clarifying my doubts (I missed the SLES4SAP reference for SUSE Trento Server on the SUSE Trento 2.3.1 announce, noted). Giving this (implicit) requirement, we are going to deploy the SUSE Trento solution on our IBM Power infrastructure for which we have SLES4SAP included on SLES workloads. Thanks you!