Unable to create a cluster - etcd cluster is unhealthy

I set up Rancher on a bare metal server (I have a kubernetes installation on that server and running Rancher via Docker): but I am unable to successfully create a cluster in Rancher.

I created one with all three roles (etcd, Control Pane and Worker) as a test, but the cluster is stuck in the Provisioning state with the error:

This cluster is currently Provisioning; areas that interact directly with it will not be available until the API is ready.

[etcd] Failed to bring up Etcd Plane: etcd cluster is unhealthy: hosts [a.b.c.d] failed to report healthy. Check etcd container logs on each host for more information

When I click on Tools -> Logging, the web interface hangs with an animating box, so I have no idea what’s happening. Any ideas?

I also tried the RKE approach but got the same error (a.b.c.d is the IP address of the server):

INFO[0056] [etcd] Successfully started [rke-log-linker] container on host [a.b.c.d]
INFO[0056] Removing container [rke-log-linker] on host [a.b.c.d], try #1
INFO[0056] [remove/rke-log-linker] Successfully removed container on host [a.b.c.d]
INFO[0056] [etcd] Successfully started etcd plane.. Checking etcd cluster health
WARN[0073] [etcd] host [a.b.c.d] failed to check etcd health: failed to get /health for host [a.b.c.d]: Get https://a.b.c.d:2379/health: remote error: tls: bad certificate
FATA[0073] [etcd] Failed to bring up Etcd Plane: etcd cluster is unhealthy: hosts [a.b.c.d] failed to report healthy. Check etcd container logs on each host for more information

So clearly it’s a certificate issue, but how should I solve this?

Hallo,
no solution but here ercd problems are caused by proxy-problems etc…
You know that docker is using own config-files and not the the system-wide ones.
Ralf