Unable to provision EC2 nodes

I have a previous post ongoing here on the forum but unfortunately I haven’t got any response so I try again! What I’m trying to accomplish is pretty straightforward but it fails to work. I’ve tried numerous combinations of AMI:s and even enabled ‘root’ ssh-login by enabling PermitRootLogin yes in the ssh config file to no avail! Even assigned an “allow all” security group to iron out any faulty FW rules but still no success.

I have created a node template, set the correct AWS-region and tried any combination of ‘ubuntu’, ‘root’, ‘rancher’ ssh user for provisioning but still doesn’t work. The Rancher Server log output looks like this:

2020/11/10 15:24:31 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Creating CA: /management-state/node/nodes/sandbox-1/certs/ca.pem
2020/11/10 15:24:31 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Creating client certificate: /management-state/node/nodes/sandbox-1/certs/cert.pem
2020/11/10 15:24:32 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Running pre-create checks...
2020/11/10 15:24:32 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Creating machine...
2020/11/10 15:24:32 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] (sandbox-1) Launching instance...
2020/11/10 15:25:03 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Waiting for machine to be running, this may take a few minutes...
2020/11/10 15:25:07 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Detecting operating system of created instance...
2020/11/10 15:25:07 [INFO] [node-controller-rancher-machine] Waiting for SSH to be available...

I must be missing something really basic here but the question is what…?

Can you try rancher/rancher:v2.5.2 with trace loglevel which will enable debug logging for rancher-machine which should give at least more logging around what it’s doing. This will contain sensitive info so make sure it isn’t logging it remotely or for someone else to see.

It seems you already tried most common problems which are incomplete security groups, wrong AMI/SSH username combination or an unsupported AMI.

Superseb, you’re my hero! I finally got the time to test out v2.5.2 and, by magic, I can now easily provision AWS EC2 nodes! I’m always a bit reluctant with the approach “latest is greatest”, but in this case it WAS the right approach :slight_smile:

Again, many thanks!

Hi, can you help me with this issue please!!
my rancher stucks in “Waiting for ssh available”
Rancher 2.8

2.5.2 no works for me

2.8 is not released yet, try 2.7.9. (in 2.7.8 an bug with EC was fixed, see Release v2.7.8 · rancher/rancher · GitHub)

Thanks!! it works, but now fails on “verify health check https://localhost:6443/healthz for service Kube-apiserver on host 18.117.150.xxx”

all my ec2 can reach self.
some idea?
pls