Upgrading from SLES 11 SP3 to SP4 not working using zypper

I am actually following the below steps to update my SLES 11 SP3 to SP4.

zypper addrepo --check --refresh --name 'SLES-SP4' #REPOURI

zypper repos --uri

zypper refresh

zypper dup

zypper pd -i

the zypper dup is showing below problems:

Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...
5 Problems:
Problem: nothing provides python-m2crypto needed by python-pywbem-0.7-6.22.3.19.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides yast2 >= 2.17.140 needed by yast2-network-2.17.210-3.3.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides satsolver-tools = 0.17.9 needed by libzypp-9.38.8-0.8.3.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides satsolver-tools = 0.17.9 needed by libzypp-9.38.8-0.8.3.x86_64
Problem: gcc43-4.3.4_20091019-37.3.1.x86_64 requires libgcc1 >= 4.3.4_20091019-37.3.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: nothing provides python-m2crypto needed by python-pywbem-0.7-6.22.3.19.x86_64
 Solution 1: keep obsolete python-pywbem-0.7-6.13.x86_64
 Solution 2: break python-pywbem-0.7-6.22.3.19.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

I tried the Solution 1 for all the problems which is keeping them.
and the upgrade steps went fine.
But when I check the version using: zypper pd -i
it still displays as SLES 11 SP3.

What steps I am missing here?
Are the above problems preventing Upgrade?

Please help me on this, if somebody has faced the same problem?

Hi amit3416,

I have no idea where those steps come from, but there’s a (little) bit more to it - well described in https://www.suse.com/de-de/support/kb/doc/?id=7016711 - see section “2) Update by using zypper” for step by step instructions.

zypper addrepo --check --refresh --name ‘SLES-SP4’ #REPOURI

In case of continuing problems with the upgrade: Do I see it right that you’re running this from a company-internal repository?

Regards,
J

Yes, I’m using the company’s internal repository.
I have found the steps using below link: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-sles-with-zapper/index.html

Hi amit3416,

[QUOTE=amit3416;55212]Yes, I’m using the company’s internal repository.
I have found the steps using below link: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-sles-with-zapper/index.html[/QUOTE]

perhaps you should check with those that have set up the repositories, for info on how to use them. Typically, you’ll see at least a “distribution repository” (i.e. the code as it is on the product DVDs) and an update repository, letting you access the latest code. But it actually depends on how your admin set up the repository structure, it may be that some “slipstreamed” repos is being made available.

I had a quick loot at the instructions you linked to. I cannot tell where the author is coming from (wrt “base installation, package requirements”), but step 3 looks awfully wrong to me: There’s no “SLES11 SP3 update repository” available at opensuse.org - they’re hosting the OpenSUSE repositories and their level “11.3” has nothing to do with SLES. And in step 2, a repo with “-GA” in its name is added as “repo-update”, which is confusing at least.

I’d say, stick with the KB article I linked to and substitute the repository provisioning steps with what your internal IT organization is providing.

Regards,
J