URGENT:Unable to boot, write lastlog failed: No space left

Good day!

Would appreciate if anyone can help me as we badly need help on our production environment.
All of a sudden pops a message that disk is full so we deleted some file on root but after checking using df -h it still shows that 100% is Use even though 91Gb out of 100Gb is being used.

So we tried rebooting the server to refresh reclaim the storage and that’s when it got worse.
Server no longer boots and just display terminal with the messages below.

https://imgur.com/XczmUNd

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
You need to clean up the snapper snapshots first and then run the btrfs maintenance routines to clean up and recover space…

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:BTRFS

Man, you’re a life-saver!!!
Thank you so much!!!

We were able to boot to Gnome after deleting several snapshots and was able to run balance command.

If you don’t mind, I would also like to clarify below(sorry,still a newbie)

1. I’m aware that we need to free-up space but is it possible that the metadata can fill up due to system activities(system update, crash logs, etc.)
  2. I just tried transferring(cut and paste) 20Gb of files(from /usr/sap/ folder) to another partition but only around 5Gb has been freed up and %Use is still the same. Do I need to run the balance command again? Is this a maintenance thing I should perform regularly?

Again, thank you so much!

[QUOTE=rrbacalan03;58650]Man, you’re a life-saver!!!
Thank you so much!!!

We were able to boot to Gnome after deleting several snapshots and was able to run balance command.

If you don’t mind, I would also like to clarify below(sorry,still a newbie)

1. I’m aware that we need to free-up space but is it possible that the metadata can fill up due to system activities(system update, crash logs, etc.)
  2. I just tried transferring(cut and paste) 20Gb of files(from /usr/sap/ folder) to another partition but only around 5Gb has been freed up and %Use is still the same. Do I need to run the balance command again? Is this a maintenance thing I should perform regularly?

Again, thank you so much![/QUOTE]
Hi
You need to look at the snapper config file in /etc/snapper/configs/root and modify the amount of snapshots kept, clean up snapshots again and run the balance routines a few times should help.