Use multiple devices with BTRFS

Hi,

I want to use multiple devices in one btrfs “pool”. The appropriate command for that, outside of yast, would be mkfs.btrfs -m raid0 -d raid0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1. During the creation of the pool the tool provides me a hint that I should use yast for such a task, otherwise suse support can’t help. I spend more then one hour in yast to find a way to create a btrfs pool with multiple devices without using any kind of LVM. Has anyone some experience with such configurations?

Best regards
Felix

[QUOTE=fbemm;2885]Hi,

I want to use multiple devices in one btrfs “pool”. The appropriate command for that, outside of yast, would be mkfs.btrfs -m raid0 -d raid0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1. During the creation of the pool the tool provides me a hint that I should use yast for such a task, otherwise suse support can’t help. I spend more then one hour in yast to find a way to create a btrfs pool with multiple devices without using any kind of LVM. Has anyone some experience with such configurations?

Best regards
Felix[/QUOTE]

Hi Felix,

Except for some fooling around with BTRFS in openSUSE 12.1 have not really had a look at the exact workings.
There is a page though I thought you might find of interest : http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-deployment_sd_draft/cha.advdisk.html

Hope that helps,
Willem

Hi,

just found out that suse is not supporting the management of multiple devices using btrfs with yast at the moment. there are plans to include this function in the future. advice is to use an lvm at the moment but that makes absolutely no sense if you can use btrfs as device manager.

but thx for the link Willem!

regards
felix