Xen - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 bootloader missing

I am configuring a pair of servers as a High Availability extensions using the SuSE HA-X addon downloaded from OpenSuSE (as directed by SLES support). After configuring iSCSI and installing the appropriate drivers for mutipath &ct. I mounted the iSCSI volume on my SAN. I rebooted the server to get to the the DRAC/IPMI settings in BIOS to enable IPMI for STONITH. Having done this, I rebooted again and the boot failed stating that it could not write to /var and offered repair mode.

Long story short, I ran Automatic repair at one point and it suggested there was a problem with the bootloader and offered to repair it. Another thing that popped up is a conflict with the catalogs because I was reportedly not using the same installer CD as the installed system. The Versions were identical, but the installer was SLES and the system SuSE. This is not true. The only SuSE components I installed were the HA Extensions as an add-on product.

The bootloader now only shows:
SUSE Linux
Failsafe – SUSE Linux

The other server shows:
Xen – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29
Failsafe – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29

As a consequence, I cannot boot this repaired server into the Xen kernel. From Patterns. I can see that XEN is installed. Am I going to have unistall Xen and reinstall it, or is there a way for me to (un)fix the bootloader?

Hi tkindig,

[QUOTE=tkindig;23085]I am configuring a pair of servers as a High Availability extensions using the SuSE HA-X addon downloaded from OpenSuSE (as directed by SLES support). After configuring iSCSI and installing the appropriate drivers for mutipath &ct. I mounted the iSCSI volume on my SAN. I rebooted the server to get to the the DRAC/IPMI settings in BIOS to enable IPMI for STONITH. Having done this, I rebooted again and the boot failed stating that it could not write to /var and offered repair mode.

Long story short, I ran Automatic repair at one point and it suggested there was a problem with the bootloader and offered to repair it. Another thing that popped up is a conflict with the catalogs because I was reportedly not using the same installer CD as the installed system. The Versions were identical, but the installer was SLES and the system SuSE. This is not true. The only SuSE components I installed were the HA Extensions as an add-on product.

The bootloader now only shows:
SUSE Linux
Failsafe – SUSE Linux

The other server shows:
Xen – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29
Failsafe – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 - 3.0.101-0.29

As a consequence, I cannot boot this repaired server into the Xen kernel. From Patterns. I can see that XEN is installed. Am I going to have unistall Xen and reinstall it, or is there a way for me to (un)fix the bootloader?[/QUOTE]

sounds like you have some work ahead… but let me get one thing out of the way first: I’ve never heard of the “HA-X add-on”, especially not one from opensuse. What I know is the SLE HAE add-on, which can be downloaded from SUSE, and is what would have expected the SUSE support to direct you to. Could you please let us know what exactly it was that you installed?

Depending on how much work you invested in the installation, it might be easier to start with a fresh, clean install - using SLES11 SP3 and SLE HAE SP3 - rather than trying to undo the installation of Opensuse parts by surgically removing products, packages and configuration, without certainty that no malicious left-overs remain.

As a consequence, I cannot boot this repaired server into the Xen kernel. From Patterns. I can see that XEN is installed.

Could you please provide the output from

• “zypper pd” to see which products and add-ons were installed

• “zypper lr -d” to see which repositories were added, and from which URL their content is fetched

• “zypper se -i -r ” for (each of) the non-SLES repositories, to see which packages were installed from non-SLES sources (if the list / the lists get to long, just mention that - no need to spam the forum :slight_smile: )

• “rpm -qa| grep kernel” to see which kernels are installed

and please check via “rpm -qi ” for (each of) the installed kernel(s), to see which kernels are installed that are not from SLES sources (see the line starting with “Distribution:” in the corresponding output)

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jans,
The product you are concerned about is SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-High-Availability-Extension-11-SP3_11.3.3-1.69 and this is not an issue. The bootloader repair resetting the names of the kernel entries and eliminating the Xen kernel entry confused me.

No non-SuSE repositories were added.

rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-firmware-20110923-0.48.1
kernel-xen-3.0.101-0.29.1
kernel-xen-base-3.0.101-0.29.1
kernel-default-3.0.101-0.29.1
kernel-default-base-3.0.101-0.29.1
nfs-kernel-server-1.2.3-18.33.1

What I needed yesterday was some help finding the path to the Xen kernel so I could add it back to the bootloader. Fortunately, I had another server configured exactly the same as this one and was able to learn the path information from it. I am now booting fine to the Xen kernel. Thanks for your concern.

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;23089]Hi tkindig,
sounds like you have some work ahead… but let me get one thing out of the way first: I’ve never heard of the “HA-X add-on”, especially not one from opensuse. What I know is the SLE HAE add-on, which can be downloaded from SUSE, and is what would have expected the SUSE support to direct you to. Could you please let us know what exactly it was that you installed?

Depending on how much work you invested in the installation, it might be easier to start with a fresh, clean install - using SLES11 SP3 and SLE HAE SP3 - rather than trying to undo the installation of Opensuse parts by surgically removing products, packages and configuration, without certainty that no malicious left-overs remain.

As a consequence, I cannot boot this repaired server into the Xen kernel. From Patterns. I can see that XEN is installed.

Could you please provide the output from

• “zypper pd” to see which products and add-ons were installed

• “zypper lr -d” to see which repositories were added, and from which URL their content is fetched

• “zypper se -i -r ” for (each of) the non-SLES repositories, to see which packages were installed from non-SLES sources (if the list / the lists get to long, just mention that - no need to spam the forum :slight_smile: )

• “rpm -qa| grep kernel” to see which kernels are installed

and please check via “rpm -qi ” for (each of) the installed kernel(s), to see which kernels are installed that are not from SLES sources (see the line starting with “Distribution:” in the corresponding output)

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]