Yast Not Working

Hello Folks - I am new to Suse.

I did a lot of research but I didn’t find any response. Can someone point me in the right direction when I ran Yast from the GUI is not doing anything. I just did a clean installation but it’s not working, please I need your help dear friends, I am spending a lot of time to get it worked. Please Help!!!
I am using SL 11 Desktop, 64bit installed on PowerEdge T710.

Cheers!!!
Jdn

[QUOTE=andiawa1;26142]Hello Folks - I am new to Suse.
[/QUOTE]
Welcome to SUSE!

The first thing we need to do is establish exactly what it is you are using. There are two currently supported versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (the subject of this forum) and there’s also openSUSE which people sometimes mistakenly post here about. Can you post the output of

$ cat /etc/*release*

When you say the “ran Yast from the GUI is not doing anything” do you mean you click the YaST icon somewhere but nothing happens?

What happens if you run

$ yast2

Hi Mikewillis,
Here is the result of cat command:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3

And I ran Yast from the computer menu and click directly Yast, enter root cred and voila, not working. But when I ran from the command line as you said, it worked pretty good, I am stupid, lol.Thanks

[QUOTE=andiawa1;26144]SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3
[/QUOTE]
Excellent you’re in the correct forum and it’s a currently supported version.

[QUOTE=andiawa1;26144]
And I ran Yast from the computer menu and click directly Yast, enter root cred and voila, not working. But when I ran from the command line as you said, it worked pretty good, I am stupid, lol.Thanks[/QUOTE]
Not stupid at all, it should work when run from the Computer menu.

Have you installed all outstanding updates? If you run

$ uname -a 

the output should contain 3.0.101-0.46 which is the current Kernel version for SLED 11 SP3. In theory you could also use

$ zypper refresh $ zypper lu
to check for outstanding updates, but all that actually proves is whether zypper can find any updates. If you haven’t got any updates repos configured then zypper won’t be able to find any updates.

If your system isn’t up to date, install all updates, reboot, see if YaST works. If you have all updates and YaST doesn’t work, if you run

$ tailf ~/.xsession-errors

then try to run YaST from the Computer menu, does anything seemingly YaST related appear in the output of tailf? Or in the output of

$ ps aux  |grep -i yast

which will show you if YaST is running but for some reason not visible.

The suggested commands:
First output: Linux orbiter3 3.0.76-0.11-default
Second: All repositories have been refreshed
Third: Could not read Gnome Bookmarks file /root/.gtk-bookmarks: Could not find file “/root/.gtk-bookmarks”.
Fourth, just a part of it.
root 7457 0.0 0.0 12896 1748 ? S 10:03 0:00 /bin/bash /sbin/yast2 repositories
root 7476 0.0 0.0 255660 31444 ? Sl 10:03 0:00 /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base repositories gtk
root 7742 0.0 0.0 12896 1748 ? S 10:06 0:00 /bin/bash /sbin/yast2 online_update

I will let you know, as I notice that I am not running the current kernel. I will update it and see what happen next.
But one more thing what are the recommended repositories you use for SUSE Desktop 11, SP3 as no available repositories are available when I ran zypper lr -d.
1 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.95 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.95 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
I appreciate. You pointed to the right direction.

Jdn

Hmmm, so YaST is running, but not visible. Odd.

The recommended repositories are the ones you get when you register the system. Register using your Activation Code and relevant repositories will be added. If you’re going to be building things from source you may also wish to add the SLE SDK. You can do that by downloading the iso from
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=hF8sRGTVC04~ (You only need DVD1)
and adding it as an Add-On Product in YaST or using the method described at
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7015337

Just an update, now I can run Yast by clicking the icon from the computer menu. It’s weird, it worked fine after typing yast2 from the command line as you suggested. I was missing something my product was not registered yet. I will let you know guys the next episode of my journey. I appreciate your support.
Jdn.