Attach new Dasd volume

Hello,

I am using Suse enterprise server 12 for system Z and I need to attach a new Dasd Volume the Dasd Manager only shows the Volume I have allocated at the installation.

by the way I’ve installed Suse on LPAR not under z/vm

I think that you may have installed SLES 12 with an option to blacklist devices (devices that linux can’t ‘see’). You can use the following to make device f191 available until the next reboot. Specfiy any device in place of f191. I believe that you can add a range of devices and/or mupltiple entries of 0.0.vdev.

cio_ignore -r 0.0.f191 chccwdev -e f191

To make it permanently available edit /boot/zipl/active_devices.txt. The zipl command does not need to be run after this file is updated.

There is a way to deactivate the blacklist feature after the install but I never investigated how to do so as I only installed SLES 12 under z/VM to play with it and see what was different from SLES 11.

I hope this helps.

Harley

[QUOTE=x0500hl;30781]I think that you may have installed SLES 12 with an option to blacklist devices (devices that linux can’t ‘see’). You can use the following to make device f191 available until the next reboot. Specfiy any device in place of f191. I believe that you can add a range of devices and/or mupltiple entries of 0.0.vdev.

cio_ignore -r 0.0.f191 chccwdev -e f191

To make it permanently available edit /boot/zipl/active_devices.txt. The zipl command does not need to be run after this file is updated.

There is a way to deactivate the blacklist feature after the install but I never investigated how to do so as I only installed SLES 12 under z/VM to play with it and see what was different from SLES 11.

I hope this helps.

Harley[/QUOTE]

Thank you x0500hl it worked and I am able to detect the new DASD volumes and add them to Linux Volumes

I have this same problem under the same scenario but could not find /boot/zipl directory in the installation DVD. Where is it?

/boot/zipl will be on your boot disk, not on the DVD.