SLES 12 on new DASD

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. What needs to be done to clone a SLES 12 system that is running native to a new volume? So if it’s running on dasda I will go ahead and copy dasda to dasdb then boot from dasdb. How can I accomplish that?

Thanks!
Paul

pmmeier,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot…

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Since nobody else has commented, I guess I’ll ask the silly questions that
indicate I do not have my mainframe nearby (nor have I ever had my
mainframe nearby):

Are you asking what needs to be done within SLES after the didks are
copied, or are you more-interested in how to create a new virtual system
based on the new disk?

It may also be useful to know if this is being done as part of
backup/restore, or as a way to start spinning up more instances to handle
some load, or just to simplify creation of new machines over the longer
term, as well as if this can be done differently in the future to avoid
confusion with registrations with things like SUSE Manager or the SUSE
Customer Center (updates/patches).

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi,

You can clone/backup your volume from your mainframe tools directly. I am not familiar with such tools, but ‘flashcopy’ comes to mind (hearing the mainframe storage guys doing it), then define a new VM with such disk, then IPL that disk.

This should work if you are using LPAR or zVM, but not on KVM (have not tried, but it seems unlikely to work). You should just take a look on your fstab entries, so everything is mounted ok.

Hope it helps

I used to update zipl with the new volume then run mkinitred. Now that grub is being used what is the process?

With cloning of a LPAR you would have two problems. The IPL volume address and IP configuration would be the same. You could IPL the volume as a guest but the original system would need to be down. Once the clone system is running you can change the address and restart the network. Then ssh in on the new address. I would make backups of the IP configuration files. If you make a mistake then you can use the 3270 console to copy the files and restart the network. Next you need to change the IPL address. Here are some notes I saved a while back.Process to change your IPL address on SLES12 and LPAR cloning process. Step 1: Backup your system. Step 2: Execute blkid to find the UUID number. Step 3: Edit /etc/fstab to use UUID on the LVM volumes and change address if you have a partitioned /boot/zipl mount. Note: The blkid is not needed for any fixed partition. Just change address. Step 4: Edit /boot/zipl/active_devices.txt to use the new IPL address. Step 5: Execute grub2-install Step 6: Execute mkinitrd Step 7: Halt system Step 8: VM Guest - redefine address. LPAR - Make appropriate IP address changes. - DDR to volume at the specified changed address. Step 9: IPL system at new address. Step 10: LPAR - Restore original system.