AWS SUSE AMI 64-bit: zypper and yast have disappeared

I have an instance running on the AWS cloud. I had attempted to use YaST, or more specifically YOU yast online updater. During the update it had many warning about dependencies, so I had skipped them all in order to make the updater run.

Now I have somehow lost the ability to use yast or zypper. Is there a way to fix this?

Most of the similar problems that I have found on Google searches require you to use a DVD to update/reinstall, but with this server being on the cloud I do not know how I would get a copy of the DVD to use.

SamMonk wrote:
[color=blue]

but with this server being
on the cloud I do not know how I would get a copy of the DVD to use.[/color]

You don’t say much about your system, its configuration, or software
versions. Can you not download and mount an ISO image?

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Thanks for replying Kevin. I decided to launch a new instance and scrap the old one after spending all morning in a worm hole. I am going to try to stay away from yast altogether from here on out.

The AWS instance was the 64 bit SLES 11 SP3

Hi SamMonk,

[QUOTE=SamMonk;21332]Thanks for replying Kevin. I decided to launch a new instance and scrap the old one after spending all morning in a worm hole. I am going to try to stay away from yast altogether from here on out.

The AWS instance was the 64 bit SLES 11 SP3[/QUOTE]

did you effectively skip all updates, or were only some updates applied, whichmay have left the system in an unstable state?

While I myself more often use direct config file editing than YaST, your description doesn’t sound like YaST was the root cause and other packages may have been affected, too… so re-starting with a new instance was probably a good thing - staying away from YaST (or worse, from updates) isn’t…

With regards,
Jens