Building a catalog item (that requires configuration files)

As a personal exercise I am trying to build an extended catalog item for Rancher.

I’d like to build a catalog item for Harbor (VMware Enterprise registry). More here: https://github.com/vmware/harbor.

I have looked into some other existing Rancher catalog items and they all seem to assume that you can just pass environment variables to docker-compose / rancher-compose (that Rancher presumably gather during the configuration phase of the item).

Harbor is a little bit more complex. At the high level the setup works like this:

• You grab a release (which is essentially the docker-compose file + a few other things).
  • you configure the (user-friendly) file harbor.cfg
  • you run the prepare script (which essentially disseminate all the info in harbor.cfg in different configuration files (in the ./common directory)
  • you run docker-compose up which includes proper mapping of various configuration files in the ./common directory.

For reference, this is the docker-compose file:

version: '2'
services:
  log:
    image: vmware/harbor-log:0.5.0-rc2
    container_name: harbor-log 
    restart: always
    volumes:
      - /var/log/harbor/:/var/log/docker/
    ports:
      - 1514:514
  registry:
    image: library/registry:2.5.0
    container_name: registry
    volumes:
      - /data/registry:/storage
      - ./common/config/registry/:/etc/registry/
    environment:
      - GODEBUG=netdns=cgo
    command:
      ["serve", "/etc/registry/config.yml"]
    depends_on:
      - log
    logging:
      driver: "syslog"
      options:  
        syslog-address: "tcp://127.0.0.1:1514"
        tag: "registry"
  mysql:
    image: vmware/harbor-db:0.5.0-rc2
    container_name: harbor-db
    volumes:
      - /data/database:/var/lib/mysql
    env_file:
      - ./common/config/db/env
    depends_on:
      - log
    logging:
      options:  
        tag: "mysql"
  ui:
    image: vmware/harbor-ui:0.5.0-rc2
    container_name: harbor-ui
    env_file:
      - ./common/config/ui/env
    volumes:
      - ./common/config/ui/app.conf:/etc/ui/app.conf
      - ./common/config/ui/private_key.pem:/etc/ui/private_key.pem
      - /data:/harbor_storage
    depends_on:
      - log
    logging:
      options:  
        tag: "ui"
  jobservice:
    image: vmware/harbor-jobservice:0.5.0-rc2
    container_name: harbor-jobservice
    env_file:
      - ./common/config/jobservice/env
    volumes:
      - /data/job_logs:/var/log/jobs
      - ./common/config/jobservice/app.conf:/etc/jobservice/app.conf
    depends_on:
      - ui
    logging:
      options:  
        tag: "jobservice"
  proxy:
    image: nginx:1.11.5
    container_name: nginx
    volumes:
      - ./common/config/nginx:/etc/nginx
    ports:
      - 80:80
      - 443:443
    depends_on:
      - mysql
      - registry
      - ui
      - log
    logging:
      options:  
        tag: "proxy"

Is it even possible to create a rancher catalog item for a service like this? If so, how would one go about it? Does it involve creating Rancher volumes (pre-populated with such information) to satisfy the mappings in the compose project?
How would one populate such files at catalog item configuration time?

Thanks.

Perhaps you could use something like confd for this?

I noticed that some of the catalog entries (e.g. Elastic Search) use custom confd images to create configuration files, rancher/elasticsearch-conf:v0.4.0 for example. See here: https://github.com/rancher/catalog-dockerfiles/tree/master/elasticsearch/containers/0.4.0/elasticsearch-conf

This may also be a useful read: https://theagileadmin.com/2015/11/12/templating-config-files-in-docker-containers/

This is not something I have much experience with yet, however.

Mh… thanks @Daniel_Skinner you may be onto something here.

I am still reading it but I am wondering if I am having my thoughts right here:

• I should embed all the configuration files inside the container image itself (no need to map external volumes etc).
  • these configuration files should have meaningful default values for the most part.
  • I should use confd to make these files templates of sort that accept inputs from outside (e.g. environment variables)
  • I should tweak the docker-compose file to include variables to pass onto the containers when I up it
  • I can grab these variables via the Rancher catalog framework facility (i.e. when you configure the catalog entry).

Would this be the idea (at the high level)?

Yea that sounds like the approach I’d want to take. As soon as you need to put some files in a volume and mount it to get your stacks working then everything becomes messy. Avoid it as long as you possibly can.

How did you get on with it?

Hi @Daniel_Skinner. I haven’t updated the thread because I was waiting to get something “done” (which I am in the process of having). After talking to Rancher (the great @rawmind!) we have concluded that the faster approach was to basically dockerize the install procedure.

So instead of re-working the entire setup process (which I may agree would make more sense and it would be more polished) we decided to create a sort of “support” container that takes as an input ALL the variables I need and that THEN run a script that customizes the harbor.cfg file accordingly and THEN prepares all the configuration files, environment files etc that exports as VOLUMES to all the other containers.

I am basically preserving the as-is installer … but building a docker wrapper around it to which I can pass variables (which is what I needed).

So the end result is a compose-file based on the original one that has some tweaks in it + the additional support container.

I have been working on it on and off but I am close to have something working (only thanks to Raul) :slight_smile:

As soon as I am done with it I want to do a blog post and link it here!

Thanks!

Ok… not a small thing as I anticipated but I have it done now.

If you are interested: http://www.it20.info/2017/01/vmware-harbor-as-a-rancher-catalog-entry/

/cc @Daniel_Skinner

Great. I’ll definitely add that to my reading list.