Chrome or Chromium on SLES11 SP2

Hello all,

I’m currently trying to install Google Chrome or Chromium on SLES 11 SP2 (which I think is close than OpenSUSE 11.2).

I tried to install the latest version (29.0.1547.76-223446) from http://dl.google.com (both 32bit than 64bit), but I face a dependency error ( xorg-x11-libX11 < 7.6_1 ) and I didn’t find any up Contrib 11.2 repositories (I assumed I can find Chrome in Contrib)

If anyone would have a trick I would be really grateful :slight_smile:

(I tried many, many ways… but no one had succeed… like using old Fedora YUM repositories… Converting old DEB packages with alien… and some far worst things but all I did is losing my time… lot of time :’-( )

Best Regards,
Vincent

As of version 12 or 13 Google changed the required versions of some libraries to versions newer than are included in SLE. So basically Chrome doesn’t work on SLED/SLES since then. Someone posted a method to get it working on the SLED forums a while back, but it was done in a way that involved replacing packages and that would probably cause problems if you ever tried to get support and I’d advise against trying it, especially on a server.

[QUOTE=VincentDOYON;16435]Hello all,

I’m currently trying to install Google Chrome or Chromium on SLES 11 SP2 (which I think is close than OpenSUSE 11.2).

I tried to install the latest version (29.0.1547.76-223446) from http://dl.google.com (both 32bit than 64bit), but I face a dependency error ( xorg-x11-libX11 < 7.6_1 ) and I didn’t find any up Contrib 11.2 repositories (I assumed I can find Chrome in Contrib)

If anyone would have a trick I would be really grateful :slight_smile:

(I tried many, many ways… but no one had succeed… like using old Fedora YUM repositories… Converting old DEB packages with alien… and some far worst things but all I did is losing my time… lot of time :’-( )

Best Regards,
Vincent[/QUOTE]

Hi,
got the same problem. Cannot install due to unresolvable dependencies. Chrome: xorg-x11-libX11 Chromium: libkmod.so.2
Before I start wasting my time: is there ANY way to set up chrome on suse linux enterprise server?
Thanks