Console resolution

I have VM A and VM B. Both VMs are running under SP 12.4.

[LIST]
[]VM A resolution in the console is 24x80 - it has been updated from 12.1 to 12.4 through the Yast Upgrade option.
[
]VM B resolution in the console is 48x128 - 12.4 has been installed from scratch.
[*]
[/LIST]

see the attached pictures.

Question: Where can I set for VM A the console resolution so it is also 48x128 characters?

[COLOR="#FF0000"]VM A:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF0000"]VM B:[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AAEBHolding;58876]I have VM A and VM B. Both VMs are running under SP 12.4.

[LIST]
[]VM A resolution in the console is 24x80 - it has been updated from 12.1 to 12.4 through the Yast Upgrade option.
[
]VM B resolution in the console is 48x128 - 12.4 has been installed from scratch.
[*]
[/LIST]

see the attached pictures.

Question: Where can I set for VM A the console resolution so it is also 48x128 characters?

[COLOR="#FF0000"]VM A:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF0000"]VM B:[/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7017979

HTH.

[QUOTE=smflood;58908]https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7017979

HTH.[/QUOTE]

No success. I have these entries - does it help?

[FONT=Courier New]GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“console=ttyS0 xencons=ttyS resume=/dev/xvda1 showopts video=1280x1024”
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=keep[/FONT]

Hi AAEBHolding,

just to check if the settings actually made it to the currently active kernel, have a look at “cat /proc/cmdline” so see if the “video” parameter is listed. If it is, then at least your change was done correctly.

What catches the eye is your console redirection to serial - is this the same for both VMs? Else, maybe the redirect interferes with setting the (graphics card) video mode.

Regards,
J

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;59088]Hi AAEBHolding,

just to check if the settings actually made it to the currently active kernel, have a look at “cat /proc/cmdline” so see if the “video” parameter is listed. If it is, then at least your change was done correctly.

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]

Hi J,

OK, I applied the changes from https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7017979 and I don’t see “video” in [FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#008080"]/proc/cmdline[/COLOR][/FONT].
[FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#008080"]root=UUID=**** resume=/dev/xvda1 splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=173M,high console=ttyS0 xencons=ttyS[/COLOR][/FONT]
So, this means, that something went wrong.

And, also, the Plymouth screen doesn’t appear.

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#A52A2A"]$>grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/SLE/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.14-122.7-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-4.12.14-122.7-default
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.14-95.40-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-4.12.14-95.40-default
done
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Any idea?

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#008080"]root=UUID=cbb73997-09e8-466d-aa0a-36996f0b2f8a resume=/dev/xvda1 splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=173M,high console=ttyS0 xencons=ttyS[/COLOR][/FONT]

Hi AAEBHolding,

[QUOTE=AAEBHolding;59094]Hi J,

OK, I applied the changes from https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7017979 and I don’t see “video” in [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#008080]/proc/cmdline[/COLOR][/FONT].
[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#008080]root=UUID=**** resume=/dev/xvda1 splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=173M,high console=ttyS0 xencons=ttyS[/COLOR][/FONT]
So, this means, that something went wrong.
[/QUOTE]

A shot into the dark, as this is an upgrade: Do you by chance boot via grub (as opposed to “grub2”), so that the changes to grub2.cfg don’t catch?

Regards,
J

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;59096]Hi AAEBHolding,

A shot into the dark, as this is an upgrade: Do you by chance boot via grub (as opposed to “grub2”), so that the changes to grub2.cfg don’t catch?

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]

1. How do I determinate what is my boot loader?
  2. I don’t change [FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#008080"]grub2.cfg[/COLOR][/FONT] - I didn’t even find such a file on the whole partition.
  3. I am changing [FONT=Courier New][COLOR="#008080"]/etc/default/grub[/COLOR][/FONT] as stated in the previous link.

Hi AAEBHolding,

by looking at what you have installed and by looking at the actual boot process

Yes, my fault: it’s Grub2’s grub.cfg.

[QUOTE=AAEBHolding;59094]
$>grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file …
[…][/QUOTE]

And, by invoking commands, grub.cfg. /etc/default/grub only contains settings, used by the generator. The actual configuration ends up in grub.cfg.

Regards,
J

Thank you J for your support. It is very strange. I have 10 SLES VM running on the XenServer host. Some of them got the larger resolution while updating to SLES 12.5 - the other didn’t.
Due to the fact I will install these VM from scratch as I change the size of the root partition, the resolution becomes automatically higher.

I have to face the fact that there is a point when I have to stop and I think I hit the point now. This subject isn’t supported well by SUSE like others.

Again, thank you very much but I close it now.