Debugging container networking

Hi,

I\m pretty sure this was covered somewhere but I cant seem to find it…

I noticed an issue where web application calls running in a Rancher stack (nginx+php-fpm) were timing out for longer calls with multiple DB calls. The DB server is on our local network - not in rancher. Some app calls work fine so its not a “no connection” issue.

My rancher instance is running a rancher master and rancher nodes (rancherOS & boot2docker both tried with same result) on virtualbox on my machine. I am able to get the same stack running directly on a boot2docker instance with docker-machine & docker-compose, so Im thinking it has to be somethig with the rancher container networkwing…

I also noticed that when I shell into a rancher container and try to call apt-get update (trying to install network tools for more troubleshooting) it times out after a few calls… cancelling and re-runing apt-get update starts working then stops, and so forth… its not stopping on the same call or consistently at a single point… its as if the outside networking is popping in and out…

Since using the app straight on top of a boot2docker instance on my machine (without it being a rancher node) I’m getting no issues I’m wondering how I can go forward and test what can be going on?