Driver DVD for suse 11sp3 for DL360p gen8

Hi all,

I installed SLES 11 SP3 on a new server DL380p gen , i used Intelligent provisioning procedure to install . The installation is correct the system boot on the hard disk but the DVD is not recognised by the OS , i checked the following thing :

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: HP Model: LOGICAL VOLUME Rev: 4.10

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00

Vendor: HP Model: LOGICAL VOLUME Rev: 4.10

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: HP Model: B320i Rev: 4.10

Type: RAID ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi1 Channel: 03 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: HP Model: P222 Rev: 6.00

Type: RAID ANSI SCSI revision: 05

cat /proc/scsi/sg/device_strs

HP LOGICAL VOLUME 4.10

HP LOGICAL VOLUME 4.10

HP B320i 4.10

HP P222 6.00

rpm -qa | grep hpvsa-kmp

hpvsa-kmp-default-1.2.8-140.sles11sp3

rpm -qa | grep dvd

dvd+rw-tools-7.1-35.21

lsmod | grep sr

sr_mod 22353 0

cdrom 47069 2 sr_mod,ide_cd_mod

scsi_mod 235785 11 st,sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,scsi_dh_rdac,scsi_dh_hp_sw, ​ scsi_dh_alua,scsi_dh_emc,scsi_dh,hpvsa,hpsa

Have you an idea to help me , thank in advance

Regards

Franck

Hi Franck,

a) with the help of [ CODE ] … [ / CODE ] blocks (without the blanks) surrounding your output, the post would be much better readable. If using the forum via browser, the advanced editor offers the “#” button, which will convert the then marked block accordingly.

b) “lsscsi” would offer a much quicker overview of the recognized devices :wink:

c) I see that the cdrom module is loaded. Assuming you did not load it manually, why do you think your CDROM drive is not recognized? If you cannot identify it in the “lsscsi” output, some more details might be helpful: What type of CDROM drive do you have? Does the server recognize the drive (i.e. during BIOS boot), were you ever able to access it (i.e. during install)?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,
Thank for your response and your advice to use the forum .
That is internal DVD standard deliver by HP on DL360p gen8 server .
At the BIOS level, the dvd is OK and i can boot on cdrom .
The problem is after the install impossible to mount automatically or manually
Regards
Franck

Hi Franck,

The problem is after the install impossible to mount automatically or manually

from what I can tell, you should be able to see an according entry in /proc/scsi/scsi representing the CDROM drive (while I still prefer “lsscsi” for that :slight_smile: ). Might it be that the drive is in some way non-standard and requires a driver? What’s in /var/log/messages about the drive and/or the port it uses, especially during the system boot phase. Are there any error messages? Does “hwinfo” give details that may be helpful?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,
The server has been delivered to our customer and no remote acces to obtain your request but see below the information about cdrom :

Optical Drive 1 DVD, hp DVDRAM GU90N
Controller Type SCSI
Device Path /dev/sr0
Drive Type DVD
Capacity (Not Available)
Firmware Revision W901
Model Number hp DVDRAM GU90N
Drive Capability REWRITABLE

the rpm lssci is installed , i asked to my customer to test with external DVD USB .
Thank in advance
Regards
Franck

hi Jens
My pb is resolved by :
The server supports Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI); and the ROM-Based Setup Utility selection for AHCI-capable controllers is changed from the default selection of Enable Legacy Support to Enable SATA AHCI Support.

You must disable AHCI functionality and use Legacy SATA Mode.
On effected ProLiant servers, the user must change the default SATA mode via the ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU) Embedded SATA Configuration menu to the Enable Legacy SATA Support mode.
Regards
Franck

Hi Franck,

thank you very much for sharing this information - this surely will help others that have to deal with the same (or a similar) situation!

Regards,
Jens