Failed upgrade from 0.59.0 to 0.63.1

Continuing the discussion from Rancher Release - v0.63.1:

Tried running this version to upgrade from v0.59.0 and the rancher/server returns 502 proxy error.

I sent inside of the container and in the file /var/log/mysql/error.log found some errors:

160309 20:57:46 InnoDB: 5.5.47 started; log sequence number 1595675
ERROR: 1064  You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ALTER TABLE user ADD column Show_view_priv enum('N','Y') CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT ' at line 1
160309 20:57:46 [ERROR] Aborting
ERROR: 1050  Table 'plugin' already exists
160309 20:57:50 [ERROR] Aborting

What can I do now?

Are you using an external DB or the internal mysql DB in the rancher/server container?

I’m using external db - AWS’s RDS.

This morning when I arrived - the rancher installation worked fine. I left it running for nearly an hour before posting to this forum. The docs said the migration might take just a few minutes.

I think this confusion would be resolved if the UI was working with some message “Upgrading the DB” rather than crashing and returning 502.

We made some database changes (inserted a column into one of our larger tables) that has had made data migration take longer than usual.

We’ll provide more warning in our release notes.

The UI is not available until after the migration is completed, so we wouldn’t be able to share “Upgrading the DB” in the UI.

That makes sense. Thanks, Denise!

I would like to make it a feature request - provide some insight into what’s going on with Rancher inbetween version upgrades. Running an upgrade and seeing http 502 error with out visibility whether I should roll back or just wait is a very disconcerting feeling.

Please make a feature request in Github. :slight_smile: