Getting a crash dump

Hi,

I would like to test whether my server creating a crash dump upon a OS crash. I can see the /etc/sysconfig/kdump config file is configured.

So I issued the command to kernel panic “echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger” so it crashed the server but it never create a dump file for some reason. This is HP BL460g7 blade with ASR disabled.

When I trigger the kernel panic it crashed but stays about 10 minutes (looks like its trying to save a crash dump) but it never. I checked the message logs but cannot see reason why its not dumping.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) Sp 1

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks

[QUOTE=miliboy;30095]Hi,

I would like to test whether my server creating a crash dump upon a OS crash. I can see the /etc/sysconfig/kdump config file is configured.

So I issued the command to kernel panic “echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger” so it crashed the server but it never create a dump file for some reason. This is HP BL460g7 blade with ASR disabled.

When I trigger the kernel panic it crashed but stays about 10 minutes (looks like its trying to save a crash dump) but it never. I checked the message logs but cannot see reason why its not dumping.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) Sp 1

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Maybe related to this TID: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008516

Thomas

[QUOTE=thsundel;30114]Maybe related to this TID: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008516

Thomas[/QUOTE]

Thanks but the server BIOS version is 2013. This is a BL460 G7 server.

Okay but I would still try updating all firmware, bios and drivers using HP SPP or maybe you have done that already?

Thomas

yaa that’s the latest one and other firmwares are up to date. Its weird why I cannot see any errors in the message logs etc. I am clueless where to find the cause!!

Hello is there any help on this??

Hi miliboy,

diagnosing the root causes of complex issues may be above what we can provide here… I’d suggest to open a service request with SUSE in order to get professional support engineers to look into this, using detailed system information you can provide to them via the support tools.

Regards,
Jens