GPIO - What is funtional in SLES ARM?

Hi!

Very cool, found this here on the opensuse forums, will test the ARM SUSE these days!

I read in the Best Practices

https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/sles-rpi-quick/data/sles-rpi-quick.html

[QUOTE]Connectors

A 0.1 inch multi-function pin header is also available. Note that not all functionality of this header is exposed in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for the Raspberry Pi[/QUOTE]

Would be helpful to know, what is currently working, e.g.

• can the Raspi be powered by the GPIO pins? (should not depend on the OS, I guess)

• is the serial console functional?

• are things like 433MHz senders/receivers possible at that time?

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=suse_rasputin;35147]Hi!

Would be helpful to know, what is currently working, e.g.

• can the Raspi be powered by the GPIO pins? (should not depend on the OS, I guess)
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, it can :). Just connect the +5V and GND pins on the header bar to your power supply and you’re good to go.

Beware that this bypasses the overvoltage protection of the board, so you have a slightly higher chance of breaking your system.

Yes, it is and should be usable by default. Use 115k baud rate.

That one is trickier. In theory you might be able to override the device tree for the device and add 433Mhz transmitter information to it, but it’s not something we have a good flow for yet. If you find out how to make it work, please make sure to let everyone else know.

Alex

Hi!

I power raspis via GPIO pin normally when using alternative power supply, such as PowerBanks, no problem up to now.

The 433MHz stuff is fun to use for temp/humidity devices and to switch on/off power plugs. I guess messing around with the kernel and stuff is (far) beyond my capabilities. :wink:

Will there be something comparable for the Raspi 2 in the future? I don’t really like the wifi/bluetooth stuff, simply bought the Raspi 3 due to quadcore/frequency…

There is a fundamental difference between the Raspberry Pi 3 and earlier models which is crucial for SLES for Raspberry Pi support (and SLES for ARM support in general) - the CPU is 64-bit ARMv8 whereas the others are 32-bit (which SLES12 doesn’t support even for Intel CPUs).

HTH.