Grub Stage1/Stage2 Mismatch

Hi,
I am installing a new SLES11 SP3 server using the KVM option on the install. I have tried it a couple of times (to new hardware) but the installation halts when it tries to install the grub boot load with a stage1/stage2 mismatch. I am now using Acronis to securely wipe the hard drive and remove the partitions before trying again. I may also try a full install rather than the KVM, and install this later.

Anyone got any ideas why I got this message when installing to a new 2TB hadd?

Cheers,

ChasR.

What partitioning setup are you using, exactly? Have you read the readme
for SLES 11 SP3 and any notes in there that deal with large disks,
particularly those in the 2 TB range? I know there was one a few months
ago, so I assume it is still there.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Hi,
I have used the default one of a Swap file and the rest as ext3 which YAST suggested. As the drive shows as 1.84TB and is below the 2TB limit, I assumed that this would be OK. The next time I try this, I intend to use a 1GB \boot partition, then the swap with the remainder ext3 partition to see of makes any difference.

Will post the results later.

If anyone else has any ideas regarding this issue, they would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

ChasR.

chas wrote:
[color=blue]

The next time I try this, I intend to
use a 1GB \boot partition,[/color]

In my opinion, a 1 GB boot partition is a bit excessive as there is
very little in the boot partition itself. 500 MB should be more than
enough.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I know the 1GB boot partition is over the top,but having been caught out in the past by undersizing some partitions (home), and also having plenty of spare capacity, I was not too bothered about the extra large boot partition. On the up side, tried it last night, and the installation worked fine. The separate boot partition did the trick:- it seems that 2TB is not the cut off point for creating this problem, and although it is deemed not necessary on smaller hard drives, it would be policy to create such a partition to avoid any issues with the SP3 version of sles11.

I am now going to move the discs around and replace the 2TB with the 3TB one I could not get to work earlier on!

Cheers,

ChasR.

chas wrote:
[color=blue]

it seems that 2TB is not the cut off point for creating this
problem[/color]

There are a number of restrictions that can come into play depending on
type and the age of your hardware. Another common one is that the boot
partition must reside within the first 1024 cylinders.

I find it difficult always to be aware of all the various restrictions
and for that reason I like to use a small /boot partition just to be
safe. Using a /boot partition makes it easier to resolve boot issues
especially when using more complex configurations like LVM.

I’m glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner

Just some further information:- the 3TB drive installed and worked up to the reboot, but I had to go into the rescue prompt, run grub to find the boot directory and run the install, after which everything worked fine. The procedure is on a Novell knowledgebase document.

Cheers,

ChasR.