Help setting up Rancher for Prod and Dev

Hi!

I’m pretty new to Docker and Rancher, but we’re currently growing our team (from 3 to 12 in the last 2 years!) and I’m starting to migrate towards Microservices and a dockerised dev environment.

I’ve come up with a pretty neat dev -> deployment procedure which can pretty much be summed up as follows:

Production environment:

• All 10 of the services have their images in our registry.
  • There’s a docker-compose.production.yml which links all the images together into a deployable stack.

Rancher is great for deploying this :slight_smile:

So, the Development environment is:

• Setup a production environment
  • Clone down the repo for the microservice you’re working on.
  • That microservice contains it’s own docker-compose.yml which has volumes for the source code dirs.
  • Run microservice$ docker-compose -f /path/to/docker-compose.production.yml -f docker-compose.yml up -d

Now our developer has 9/10 services running as per the production config, and one service running as per the development config. Great!

My problem is that if I deploy do the developer’s environment via rancher, I can see the rancher stack of containers running there all with the r_ prefix… But now should I integrate my dev container into the stack?

I’m imagining there may be a solution where I just bring up the dev container for that service, and tell Rancher to use that container instead of the existing one for that service…

I apologise if there’s a simple/obvious solution to this – or if I’m totally over-engineering this. As I said - new to docker. Still haven’t quite got my head around scaling and load-balancers etc…

I’d love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks,
Dean.

1 Like

Did you figure this out? I’m running into this problem also, and not sure what the best way to use Rancher for both dev/prod is.