how to label reiser file system?

I have been labeling my ext3 file systems partitions ( aka /dev/sda1 as “root” ) as I upgrade boxes from suse 11.1 to 11.2 and have discovered that I cannot label a reiser file system while it is mounted. So my current supposition is that I need to boot off of media relabel the file systems, edit the /etc/fstab file, but how do I reconfigure the boot setup to jibe with the new disk labels?

Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

[QUOTE=skunkboy;3310]I have been labeling my ext3 file systems partitions ( aka /dev/sda1 as “root” ) as I upgrade boxes from suse 11.1 to 11.2 and have discovered that I cannot label a reiser file system while it is mounted. So my current supposition is that I need to boot off of media relabel the file systems, edit the /etc/fstab file, but how do I reconfigure the boot setup to jibe with the new disk labels?

Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Matt[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have your procedure covered. Editing the /etc/fstab is also possible after having set the labels and rebooted into the system (as to check if all labels have been set as intended).

I personally don’t use labels is this way, so don’t know about the exact notation to use in GRUB. This might help : http://csciwww.etsu.edu/nielsen/4417/grub-partitions-labels.txt

In any case it’s better to copy the original boot line in grub.conf and edit that instead of replacing the original boot line. Always good to have a fall back.

After having edited all that you should probably also rerun the mkinitrd to have these changes written consistently into the boot environment. Not sure if that is really needed with this type of change.

Cheers,
Willem

Yes, I was correct, but you also need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I had already changed the swap parition to use a LABEL so I just used that format and then rebooted it the box. Machine seems to be working fine.

Matt

Where is my head… grub.conf. tsk, tsk… Ofcourse that should be menu.lst :slight_smile:

Good that it working!

Cheers,
Willem