SLES 11 SP2 : Way to copy boot disk to another hard drive?

I figured out how to rebuild / from reiserfs to ext3 on the same partition, using another disk as temporary space. What I was wondering is if anyone knew the steps, or could give hints, as to how to move from say from a small drive to a larger drive without having to do a new install? My issue seems to be getting grub to recognize the new drive after I copy the files over to the new drive partitions.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

[QUOTE=skunkboy;15560]I figured out how to rebuild / from reiserfs to ext3 on the same partition, using another disk as temporary space. What I was wondering is if anyone knew the steps, or could give hints, as to how to move from say from a small drive to a larger drive without having to do a new install? My issue seems to be getting grub to recognize the new drive after I copy the files over to the new drive partitions.

Thanks,
Matt[/QUOTE]

do you intend to leave the original drive in the system, too? Or will the new drive replace the old drive?

Generally, you should not only have a look at your boot manager, but at /etc/fstab as well.

If the new drive is the only drive in the system, running “grub-install” via a recovery system (i.e. booted from DVD) should fix things if /etc/grub.conf still matches the actual configuration.

Regards,
Jens