How to save a bootable copy of my Linux on a DVD

Hi to everyone!
I bought a notebook with a preinstalled Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, but unfortunately the notebook does not have the OS on a DVD, just the installation kit which installed the OS when first booting the notebook.
I want to write on a DVD the installation kit of my SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 and I want to ask how should I proceed (where should I find the installation kit on my disk and which files should I write on the DVD).
The reason I want to write it on a DVD is just for having a rescue disk in case something happens with the OS and I have to reinstall it.
I know that there is an option to repair Linux in such a case but having a DVD with the OS will make me feel more comfortable.
Thank you!

[QUOTE=Asimetrix;18801]Hi to everyone!
I bought a notebook with a preinstalled Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, but unfortunately the notebook does not have the OS on a DVD, just the installation kit which installed the OS when first booting the notebook.
I want to write on a DVD the installation kit of my SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 and I want to ask how should I proceed (where should I find the installation kit on my disk and which files should I write on the DVD).
The reason I want to write it on a DVD is just for having a rescue disk in case something happens with the OS and I have to reinstall it.
I know that there is an option to repair Linux in such a case but having a DVD with the OS will make me feel more comfortable.
Thank you![/QUOTE]
Hi
If it’s a HP you can ask their support for one? AFAIK, there is an iso image, another HP user discovered that in this thread;
http://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?t=3950

Else if you have a copy of your registration key (should be down in the /etc folder), a list of the subscribed repos (zypper lr -d) and a downloaded DVD (it’s a free download) from the SUSE site you should be good to go. Else another option is to get a spare drive and use dd to copy the image across (takes a loooong time).

Lot’s of different methods, honestly if you have a regular backup of your /home directory, good notes on any configuration changes you make (suggest you make copies in you home directory) and the install media, it takes minimal time to re-install from either dvd or usb…

Downloading and burning the DVD ISO of the SLED media from SUSE’s site is
probably the easiest way. I’m not ever quite sure how to make a bunch of
files from a filesystem get onto a DVD and still be bootable, since CD
booting and hard drive booting never quite work the same way for me. As a
result,

Perhaps as a compromise get a USB stick that is big enough, burn the SLED
media to it from SUSE, and then look for any special drivers from your
hard drive and put them on there too just in case you need them when
restoring.

Just a guess…

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…