HP Notebook Owners Update to SLED 11 SP2

[QUOTE=Arnaudk93;5661]Please give me the exact model and I will create a new resquest.

Regards,

Arnaud[/QUOTE]

Could you also ask them not to forget about HP Compaq620 (WT258EA)?
Thanks

[QUOTE=svalx;5666]17.07.2012 23:54, Arnaudk93 wrote:[color=blue]

Please give me the exact model and I will create a new resquest.[/color]

HP ProBook 4525s (WK395EA)[/QUOTE]

This is what I have got from the team :

"For the “Update” issue, if the system is Registered with SUSE/Novell, and is up to date on the updates, in the YaST Software Manager- search for “SP2” in ‘Available’, the SP2-Migration tool is there. I just did it myself on a SLED11-SP1 machine…

If this is what the customer already did, including Registering and updating prior to attempting to Migrate, let me know."

Please give me all the necessary information. As far as I am concerned, I tried. It works even if some repos had to be activated manually through YaST (Repo manager).

Please let me know

[QUOTE=Arnaudk93;5682]This is what I have got from the team :

"For the “Update” issue, if the system is Registered with SUSE/Novell, and is up to date on the updates, in the YaST Software Manager- search for “SP2” in ‘Available’, the SP2-Migration tool is there. I just did it myself on a SLED11-SP1 machine…

If this is what the customer already did, including Registering and updating prior to attempting to Migrate, let me know."
Please give me all the necessary information. ).

Please let me know[/QUOTE]
Dear Arnaudk93,
I updated my HPCompaq 620 from SLED11-SP1 to SLED11-SP2 from DVD this week, following by on-line update.
the Kernel upgraded to 3.0.34-0.7-default.
In general the system works, however, many packages needs to be restored, e.g. webcam (Cheese), virtualbox, WMWare,etc.
While trying to install the SP2-Migration in YaST Software Manager- searching for “SP2”, I received the following conflicts:
installed product:SUSE_SLED-11.2-1.513.i586 obsoletes product:SUSE_SLED-SP2-migration provided by product: SUSE_SLED-SP2-migration-11.2.1.6.i586,
and
product:SUSE_SLED-11.2-1.513.i586 required sled-release=11.2-1.513, but this requirement cannot be provided
(I actually have sled-release DVD version 11.2-1.193)
I think the the system is Registered with SUSE/Novel.

[QUOTE=LLiner;5691]Dear Arnaudk93,
I updated my HPCompaq 620 from SLED11-SP1 to SLED11-SP2 from DVD this week, following by on-line update.
the Kernel upgraded to 3.0.34-0.7-default.
In general the system works, however, many packages needs to be restored, e.g. webcam (Cheese), virtualbox, WMWare,etc.
While trying to install the SP2-Migration in YaST Software Manager- searching for “SP2”, I received the following conflicts:
installed product:SUSE_SLED-11.2-1.513.i586 obsoletes product:SUSE_SLED-SP2-migration provided by product: SUSE_SLED-SP2-migration-11.2.1.6.i586,
and
product:SUSE_SLED-11.2-1.513.i586 required sled-release=11.2-1.513, but this requirement cannot be provided
(I actually have sled-release DVD version 11.2-1.193)
I think the the system is Registered with SUSE/Novel.[/QUOTE]

Hi !

Normally we should follow these steps :
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7010200

I will follow your message to the support team.

Regards,

Arnaud

Hi,

[QUOTE=Arnaudk93;5696]Hi !

Normally we should follow these steps :
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7010200 Arnaud[/QUOTE]

I obeyed all the steps:

[QUOTE]Update via using a SLE 11 SP2 installation media
Please obtain the ISO images from http://download.novell.com.

1. Update by booting from a SLES/SLED 11 SP2 media
    To start the standard update via DVD, reboot the computer with this medium in it’s DVD drive. Perform a system update instead of a fresh installation. To achive this, select"Installation" → Select language and keyboard layout → Agree to the License → Select “Update an Existing System” instead of “New Installation”.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Arnaudk93;5696]Hi !
I will follow your message to the support team.

Regards,
Arnaud[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Arnaud

18.07.2012 21:54, Arnaudk93 wrote:[color=blue]

This is what I have got from the team :

"For the “Update” issue, if the system is Registered with SUSE/Novell,
and is up to date on the updates, in the YaST Software Manager- search
for “SP2” in ‘Available’, the SP2-Migration tool is there. I just did it
myself on a SLED11-SP1 machine�
[/color]
My system is registered in NCC and up to date. It is listed in Customer
Center as ‘HP BNB 2010 Edition’. I have ‘sle-sdk-SP2-migration’ and
‘SUSE_SLED-SP2-migration’ packages in ‘Available’ tab of package manager.[color=blue]

If this is what the customer already did, including Registering and
updating prior to attempting to Migrate, let me know."
[/color]
I must install this ‘SP2’ packages manually? I did not try to force migrate.[color=blue]
Please give me all the necessary information. As far as I am concerned,
I tried. It works even if some repos had to be activated manually
through YaST (Repo manager).

Please let me know

[/color]
Furthermore, I have installed package ‘sled-release’ version 11.1-2.1
from SLED11-SP1-HP-BNB-Updates repository. Changelog of this package
have a record by 16 feb 2012 (ro@suse.de)

• remove upgrade section to block migration
    Maybe it prevents migration to SP2? Perhaps this package must be updated
    by HP linux team or SUSE?

If you want to run SLED without relying on your notebook manufacturer, go for a lenovo.

HP ProBook 6560b (LG652EA)

[QUOTE=Arnaudk93;5661]Please give me the exact model and I will create a new resquest.

Regards,

Arnaud[/QUOTE]

A new request has been created.

Regards,

Arnaud

I have successfully migrated to SP2 via using a SLE 11 SP2 installation
media. All other ways are braked for me.

HP 635

I had more or less successfully upgraded from SLED11 SP1 to SP2. There seemed to be some hardware problems, e.g., I Couldn’t use the touchpad any more or, if I forgot to remove the USB mouse before booting, the machine landed in hibernation mode or there was a display fault, so I had to reboot. Applying the security patch which moved from kernel 3.0.58-0.6.6 to 3.0.74-0.6.6.2 resulted in a machine with boot faults. GRUB couldn’t mount /dev/sda3 and complained about a ‘controller using wrong IRQ’. The same result happened if booting making you of any boot menu item (default kernel, pae kernel, failsafe mode). The device mapper identifies disks by id. Unfortunately I happened to I start recovery which beamed the machine back to kernel 2.6.32.29-0.3. Still there are some boot problems, for instance shutting down lasts very long because of problems concerning gdm, NetworkManager and laptop mode.

Before giving SP2 a second try I’d very much like to minimize the risk to have to cycle the procedure another time.

Thank you! Kind regards

Regards,

Arnaud[/QUOTE]

I’m going to tell about successfully updating a HP 635 notebook, but the procedure might be the same for other devices.

It’s been quite a long way, but finally I succeeded, more or less. There seemed to be some peculiarities around HP’s data and their partition /dev/sda1.

To prepare you should know exactly your SP1 partition table and boot configuration to type corrections during repair. Perhaps you run the tool ‘supportconfig’ and copy your system’s data to an external medium in case something goes wrong. Before starting it’s wise to prepare for US keyboard layout if yours is another, e.g., print page 542 of the administration guide. I made use of the repair option of the SP2 DVD.

A. Update
(1) choose installation, then update an existing system
(2) originally partitions are mounted by id. I got the error message “Partitions mounted by kernel-device-name” and let the program repair
(3) partition or system to update: SLED11 /dev/sda3 i386 ext3
(4) online update detects conflicting packages popper-tools and xpdf-tools. I decided to remove xpdf-tools
(5) reboot is necessary and ends with a blue screen after starting kernel 3.0.74-0.6.6.2. I had to reset the machine.

B. Repair, option automatic repair
(6) add partition /dev/sda2 to swap
(7) installing kernel modules for file system support was “Problematic, Loading failed for kernel modules: ntfs”
(8) checking fstab entries failed for “/dev/sda1 /var/adm/autoinstall/repo vfat”. I chose the option ‘ignore’ and had to repeat my choice
(9) add suggested fstab entries: devpts, mount point /dev/pts
(10) you may now or later edit your boot configuration to add ‘acpi=on’, ‘acpi_osi="!Windows 2009"’, ‘acpi.ec_delay=1000’ to rebuild the old configuraton and modify ‘splash=verbose’
(11) repair says it’s been successful, so click on finish button
(12) message “An error occured during the installation. Exit or reboot.” Rebooting succeeded.

Remaining problems:
synaptics touchpad: during repair I could use the touchpad, afterwards dmesg knew it, but I couldn’t activate it. The synaptics touchpad was shown as activated in the sax2 GUI, it’s options were grey and couldn’t be altered. SaX2 complained in /var/log/Xorg.99.log: No drivers available!

Does anybody know a solution?

[QUOTE=knadan;3865]Hello,

Did any HP Notebook owner succesfully upgraded from SLED 11 SP1 (pre-installed) to SP2 ?[/QUOTE]

I actually gave up

[QUOTE=guennov;13650]I’m going to tell about successfully updating a HP 635 notebook, but the procedure might be the same for other devices.

It’s been quite a long way, but finally I succeeded, more or less. There seemed to be some peculiarities around HP’s data and their partition /dev/sda1.

To prepare you should know exactly your SP1 partition table and boot configuration to type corrections during repair. Perhaps you run the tool ‘supportconfig’ and copy your system’s data to an external medium in case something goes wrong. Before starting it’s wise to prepare for US keyboard layout if yours is another, e.g., print page 542 of the administration guide. I made use of the repair option of the SP2 DVD.

A. Update
(1) choose installation, then update an existing system
(2) originally partitions are mounted by id. I got the error message “Partitions mounted by kernel-device-name” and let the program repair
(3) partition or system to update: SLED11 /dev/sda3 i386 ext3
(4) online update detects conflicting packages popper-tools and xpdf-tools. I decided to remove xpdf-tools
(5) reboot is necessary and ends with a blue screen after starting kernel 3.0.74-0.6.6.2. I had to reset the machine.

B. Repair, option automatic repair
(6) add partition /dev/sda2 to swap
(7) installing kernel modules for file system support was “Problematic, Loading failed for kernel modules: ntfs”
(8) checking fstab entries failed for “/dev/sda1 /var/adm/autoinstall/repo vfat”. I chose the option ‘ignore’ and had to repeat my choice
(9) add suggested fstab entries: devpts, mount point /dev/pts
(10) you may now or later edit your boot configuration to add ‘acpi=on’, ‘acpi_osi="!Windows 2009"’, ‘acpi.ec_delay=1000’ to rebuild the old configuraton and modify ‘splash=verbose’
(11) repair says it’s been successful, so click on finish button
(12) message “An error occured during the installation. Exit or reboot.” Rebooting succeeded.

Remaining problems:
synaptics touchpad: during repair I could use the touchpad, afterwards dmesg knew it, but I couldn’t activate it. The synaptics touchpad was shown as activated in the sax2 GUI, it’s options were grey and couldn’t be altered. SaX2 complained in /var/log/Xorg.99.log: No drivers available!

Does anybody know a solution?[/QUOTE]