initializing gfx code, then reboot

When I try and boot with any SLES 11.x disk I get the error “initializing gfx code”, sits awhile, then reboots. For testing I tried a SLES 12 disk, which booted fine. Not sure what the deal is.

Hi technomoney,

When I try and boot with any SLES 11.x disk I get the error “initializing gfx code”, sits awhile, then reboots. For testing I tried a SLES 12 disk, which booted fine. Not sure what the deal is.

sounds like some hardware/driver incompatibility, fixed by newer versions in SLES12.

If you need to track this down to install SLES11SP3, you ought to give details on the graphics card and, if it’s an add-on card, swap it for a different type of card. As it might be some other hardware as well, some details on the server system might be helpful, too.

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;27990]Hi technomoney,

sounds like some hardware/driver incompatibility, fixed by newer versions in SLES12.

If you need to track this down to install SLES11SP3, you ought to give details on the graphics card and, if it’s an add-on card, swap it for a different type of card. As it might be some other hardware as well, some details on the server system might be helpful, too.

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

I was originally thinking hardware compatibility as well, but this server is currently running SLES 11.1 with OES 2.

Hi technomoney,

while there is still a good chance that the problems are hardware-related (either the drivers in SLES11SP3 cannot cope with your hardware, while those in SP1 and SLES12 can - or less likely that the card has a defect only exposed by the code level in SLES11SP3), you may of course open a service request with SUSE to get one-on-one support from the support engineers, which will have a detailed into into the server logs etc., which is above what a public forum can provide.

Regards,
Jens