Install SUSE 11 SP2 hang on during install

Hi all,

I tried install SUSE 11S P2 to the Dell Poweredge 720 and 720 XD, but they hang on during installation or during configure network (read driver information).

Dell support said that was SUSE problem.

Any suggestion welcome.

Thank you.

Hello;

Make sure your have the correct CD. There is a 11SP2 for Virtual and a 11SP2 for Physical. Choose the physical one. Then make sure that Dell doesn’t provide a specific CD for suse (They do for esxi). Also check to make sure your network card is supported by SuSE.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

But from the download site, I only can see one version for the SUSE11 SP2.

It is the 11SP2 for Physical, still hanged on network configuration or detection.

Thanks

Do you have an additional network card setup? If so please remove the additional NIC and try the install again.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion.

It really helped me. I disabled the NIC from the BIOS, the installation went through.

I do not know what will happen if I enable it. But I have to. Will see.

Hi Mike,

I enabled the NIC on BIOS. When I tried to configure it, the server frozen.

Any suggestion?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=LikeAsk;6962]Hi all,

I tried install SUSE 11S P2 to the Dell Poweredge 720 and 720 XD, but they hang on during installation or during configure network (read driver information).

Dell support said that was SUSE problem.
[/QUOTE]

If that was their 1:1 answer, that sure is a lame answer from Dell regarding a failing install. SLES 11 is supported by Dell as OS for that system, so they should provide guidance if the install is not working!

As a first, and if not done so: check the MD5sum of the install media and compair it against the MD5sum listed on the SLES 11 SP2 download page.

In any case, make sure you have the latest BIOS applied (1.2.6 at this moment) and also the latest firmwares for the network cards & DRAC.
Also try resetting all BIOS and DRAC settings to the defaults after having installed the latest BIOS/firmware.

Have you added any extra cards or other modules to the server? Then try removing them as they could be the cause of the hanging (due to faulty drivers/hardware etc).
You also have the option (at the first boot menu) to try loading with failsafe options (meaning certain advanced options or known problem modules will not get loaded that might let the installer do its work).

If the SLES 11 SP2 install media still won’t finish the install normally, retry install using the SLES 11 SP1 media.

You also have the option of opening a SR with SUSE. Do you have a support contract with SUSE, Dell (or …?) for the SLES OS?

Wishing you install luck,
Willem