Installing SMT without X11

Hi guys,
Can anyone point me to some documentation explaining how to install SMT without X11 installed?

All I can seem to find are links to the documentation that expects me to have a full GUI installed on the server, which isn’t going to happen.

Has anyone managed to do it? It’s only a set of packages after all.

Thanks,
Louis

louis,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

Solved: I’ll post how I did it in case someone else is looking for the same information as I was.

• Make sure you have the SMT installation media or ISO and mount it. I<ll assume you have it mounted on /media/cdrom

• Install the required packages:

#  zypper in mysql perl-DBD-mysql  apache2 apache2-mod_perl 
  • Install the SMT packages:

[CODE] # cd /media/cdrom/suse/x86_64

rpm -ivh perl-File-Basename-Object-0.01-1.22.x86_64.rpm yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-107.18.x86_64.rpm perl-Text-ASCIITable-0.18-1.10.x86_64.rpm perl-MIME-Lite-3.01-238.21.x86_64.rpm perl-DBIx-Migration-Directories-0.08-1.10.x86_64.rpm perl-DBIx-Transaction-1.002-2.15.x86_64.rpm …/noarch/createrepo-0.4.11-9.12.1.noarch.rpm

rpm -ivh --nodeps smt-1.1.16-0.1.1.x86_64.rpm # dont bother installing htmldoc which requires graphical dependancies[/CODE]

• Install yast-support (ignore the icons depndencies) and the smt noarch packages

[CODE] # rpm -ivh --nodeps …/noarch/yast2-smt-2.17.21-0.1.2.noarch.rpm

rpm -ivh …/noarch/sle-smt_en-11.1-0.1.1.noarch.rpm

rpm --nodeps -ivh sle-smt-release-11-1.3.x86_64.rpm[/CODE]

You should now be able to launch yast from the console in ncurses mode.

# yast smt-server

Give a password to the mysql root account and enter your NCCcredentials.

You may have to configure some options in /etc/smt.conf ( such as proxy settings ) which do not seem to be configurable through yast.

You should now be able to use smt through the commande line tools located in /usr/sbin:

# ls /usr/sbin/smt* /usr/sbin/smt /usr/sbin/smt-list-products /usr/sbin/smtp-sink /usr/sbin/smt-setup-custom-catalogs /usr/sbin/smt-catalogs /usr/sbin/smt-list-registrations /usr/sbin/smtp-source /usr/sbin/smt-setup-custom-repos /usr/sbin/smt-client /usr/sbin/smt-mirror /usr/sbin/smt-register /usr/sbin/smt-staging /usr/sbin/smt-delete-registration /usr/sbin/smt-mirror-sle9 /usr/sbin/smt-report /usr/sbin/smt-support /usr/sbin/smt-job /usr/sbin/smt-ncc-sync /usr/sbin/smt-repos

Sync your SMT metadata with

# /usr/sbin/smt-ncc-sync 

Add repositories (example only):

[CODE]# /usr/sbin/smt-repos -p sle-sdk,11.1

/usr/sbin/smt-repos -o

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Mirror? | ID | Type | Name | Target | Description | Can be Mirrored | Staging |
±--------±—±-----±---------------------------±--------------±---------------------------------------------±----------------±--------+
| Yes | 1 | nu | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool | sle-11-x86_64 | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 2 | nu | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates | sle-11-x86_64 | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 3 | nu | SLES11-Extras | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-Extras for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 4 | nu | SLES11-SP1-Pool | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-SP1-Pool for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 5 | nu | SLES11-SP1-Updates | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-SP1-Updates for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 6 | nu | SLES11-SP2-Core | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-SP2-Core for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 7 | nu | SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
| Yes | 8 | nu | SLES11-SP2-Updates | sle-11-x86_64 | SLES11-SP2-Updates for sle-11-x86_64 | Yes | No |
‘---------±—±-----±---------------------------±--------------±---------------------------------------------±----------------±--------’
[/CODE]

• start the mirroring :
# /usr/sbin/smt-mirror 
  • You should now be able to register clients using the /usr/share/doc/packages/smt/clientSetup4SMT.sh script and update them from the SMT server after adding it to the list or repositories.

Hi
Missed this one… using nodeps is not a good idea either.

Normally you would use YaST (ncurses) add on products to add the
iso image which will also create the update directories, then just run;

zypper in -t pattern SMT

Using add on products will add the relevant online/update repositories
for smt as well.

Since smt is a service, you can check via the CLI, eg;

chkconfig smt
chkconfig smt on
rcsmt start
rcsmt status

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 4:01, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU