kernel not supported above 4GB on SLES 10 sp1

Greetings!

I have installed 8GB ram on the system SLES 10 sp1, i observed only 4GB memory found in the system checked by the free -m ,top.Also i got information that this current smp kernel version is not supported above the 4GB and the kernel bigsmp is supported upto 64GB.hence i was trying to add this bigsmp kernel on this SLES 10 sp1 but unfortunately i am getting package conflict errors while installing it using yast utility.so i didn’t install the new kernel bigsmp.

current kernel version : kernel-smp-2.6.16.54-0.2.12 ( it is supported upto the 4 GB)
supported above 4GB kernel version :2.6.16.46-0.12-bigsmp ( it is supported upto 64 GB)

I want to know that the lotus domino installed on the server would get impact if i upgrade the SLES 10 sp1 to sp2 ? Also the new kernel of sp2 would supported the above 4 GB ? and Is there bigsmp on the sp2 version?

Should i upgraded either sp2 or higher version? or is there any way to fix this memory not supported without the upgrade the service pack ? please help me
Any comments ,suggestion and recommendation would be greatly apprecitated,thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Elango

Added : The current os version is 32 bit.

Thanks

On 31/08/2012 15:14, gopalelango wrote:
[color=blue]

Added : The current os version is 32 bit.[/color]

That’s a very important piece of information as that’s your problem
because the maximum amount of addressable memory for a 32-bit OS is 4GB
unless you’re using PAE (Physical Address Extension).

Did you perhaps install this server originally with 4GB (or less) RAM
and later upgrade? That would explain why it now has the SMP kernel and
not BigSMP.

Upgrading from SLES10 SP1 to SP2 will not help. What should help is
switching to the bigsmp kernel (to enable PAE) or, if the server has a
64-bit CPU, reinstall with 64-bit SLES.

For more information see http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16262.html

SLES10 SP2 does have a bigsmp kernel[1] though please note that both
SLES10 SP1 and SP2 are no longer supported with SLES10 SP4 the current &
supported version of SLES10 (SLES11 SP2 is the latest version of SLES).

HTH.

[1]
https://www.suse.com/LinuxPackages/packageRouter.jsp?product=server&version=10&service_pack=sp2&architecture=i386&package_name=index_all

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

Thanks for the update.

Did you perhaps install this server originally with 4GB (or >less) RAM and later upgrade?

The server had not have the 8GB originally during the installation we just had to add this extra 4GB after installation due to the performance issue on the server.

switching to the bigsmp kernel (to enable PAE)

well, can i go ahead the upgrade of latest SLES 11 sp2 one? The SLES 11 sp2 has bigsmp kernel which is supported above 4gb as you mentioned here? Would my lotus domino be impacted or not if i go for the SLES 11 sp2 upgradation? because the lotus domino and user mail should get affected if i upgrade the latest patch 11 sp2 ,Please suggest me.

Also i was getting the conflict error in the yast tool while installing the bigsmp kernel. or can i install bigsmp kernel from the the SLES 11 sp2 cd? and also please suggest me if i want to update the SLES sp2 can i download the SLES sp2 from the novell website? i greatly appreciate your help.

thanks for your prompting reply.

Anyone update me on this please.

I would like to upgrade this sles 10 sp1 to sles s4 then sles sp2 as per the novell recommendation here https://www.suse.com/products/server/frequently-asked-questions/; should i download the x86bit ISO since the “uname -a” shows 2.6.16.54-0.2.12-smp #1 SMP i686 i686 i386, i guess this is the x86 bit os. am i right? or 64bit? please suggest me.
Also is the SLES sp2 free cost if i want to download and upgrade on the existing SLES os? I am concern about my lotus domino server on current sles sp1 it should not get affected after upgraded into the latest SLES sp2.

Your suggestion on this would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Regards,
Elango

[color=blue]

2.6.16.54-0.2.12-smp #1 SMP i686 i686 i386, i guess this is the x86 bit
os. am i right? or 64bit? please suggest me.[/color]

No, sorry, that’s not 64bit (should be x86_64 for 64bit)

Tom

On 03/09/2012 08:04, gopalelango wrote:
[color=blue]

I would like to upgrade this sles 10 sp1 to sles s4 then sles sp2 as
per the novell recommendation here
https://www.suse.com/products/server/frequently-asked-questions/;[/color]

Firstly please can you include the complete SLES versions when posting
as it can get a bit confusing when you leave the major version out - I
think from the above you want to upgrade from SLES10 SP1 to SLES_10_ SP4
then to SLES_11_ SP2?

You certainly can’t, as your previous reply suggested, just apply a
kernel from a later SP to your current installed version.

Note to get from SLES10 SP1 to latest SLES11 SP2 you will need to either
upgrade via each SLES10 SP in turn (so SLES10 SP1 to SLES10 SP2, then
SLES10 SP2 to SLES10 SP3, SLES10 SP3 to SLES10 SP4, finally SLES10 SP4
to SLES11 SP2) or migrate to a new SLES11 SP2 on new hardware (which is
easier if your servers are virtual since you don’t then need another
physical server).
[color=blue]

should
i download the x86bit ISO since the “uname -a” shows
2.6.16.54-0.2.12-smp #1 SMP i686 i686 i386, i guess this is the x86 bit
os. am i right? or 64bit? please suggest me.[/color]

x86 is 32-bit - x86_64 is 64-bit.
[color=blue]

Also is the SLES sp2 free cost if i want to download and upgrade on the
existing SLES os? I am concern about my lotus domino server on current
sles sp1 it should not get affected after upgraded into the latest SLES
sp2.[/color]

All versions of SLES are free to download - the cost is associated with
product updates & support.

As for Lotus Domino you should check with IBM as to the system
requirements and supported configurations.

HTH.

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

[QUOTE=smflood;6654]On 03/09/2012 08:04, gopalelango wrote:
[color=blue]

I would like to upgrade this sles 10 sp1 to sles s4 then sles sp2 as
per the novell recommendation here
https://www.suse.com/products/server/frequently-asked-questions/;[/color]

Note to get from SLES10 SP1 to latest SLES11 SP2 you will need to either
upgrade via each SLES10 SP in turn (so SLES10 SP1 to SLES10 SP2, then
SLES10 SP2 to SLES10 SP3, SLES10 SP3 to SLES10 SP4, finally SLES10 SP4
to SLES11 SP2) or migrate to a new SLES11 SP2 on new hardware (which is
easier if your servers are virtual since you don’t then need another
physical server).
[color=blue]

simon,

could you please suggest me that how can i go ahead to fix this kernel can’t address the above 4GB memroy. Can i install the bigsmp kernel from the latest SLES sp2 cd or go through the whole upgrade processes you have suggest above. Please help me.
Also i am worry about the kernel panic after upgradation or install the bigsmp kernel. Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Elango

It is likely that upgrading to SLES 10 SP2 and then installing the bigsmp kernel will be the safest way. I have no idea what would happening upgrading through a major release ( 10.x to 11.x ) as it pertains to the Domino server. I’m not sure any of us can.

Also, if you plan on doing anything you should assume you will break something and need a good disaster recovery methodology. This most likely would be a reinstall and restore from backup. And so perhaps its better to upgrade Domino and the OS if they can run on a 64-bit OS.

– Bob

[COLOR="#0000CD"]It is likely that upgrading to SLES 10 SP2 and then installing the bigsmp kernel will be the safest way. [/COLOR]

The only thing my goal is that want to let the kernel addressable above 4GB memory with the help of bigsmp and use it accordingly . So would the bigsmp kernel do install in the place of smp kernel automatically and yast can addressable its 8GB memory if i go through the current SLES 10 sp1 to SLES 10 sp2 up gradation or later one?

The client requirement is very simple ,would like to let know the 8GB memory to OS and utilize it.never concerned about the latest patch features and stability.

Thanks
Elango

I would patch the box. Leaving your customer with an unsupportable box is irresponsible. Once you have the system patched, then you can swap kernels, and you;d still be able to call SuSE for support if something did go wrong. Just my 2 cents.

– Bob