Kernel version for SES 3

We are going to be testing a SES 3 deployment very soon. I’ve been reading the ceph-users mailing list for a while now and one very common recommendation I see is to run newer kernels such 4.7.x. That made me wonder what the kernels are for SES - higher version or the stock SLES ones?

thanks,
Andrew

aferris Wrote in message:
[color=blue]

We are going to be testing a SES 3 deployment very soon. I’ve been
reading the ceph-users mailing list for a while now and one very common
recommendation I see is to run newer kernels such 4.7.x. That made me
wonder what the kernels are for SES - higher version or the stock SLES
ones?[/color]

SUSE Enterprise Storage 3.0 installs as an extension on top of
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1 which has kernel 3.12. It
doesn’t install a later kernel (which makes sense as that would
have support implications).

I’m at SUSECON so will ask the experts about kernel 4.7 comments.

HTH.

Simon Flood
SUSE Knowledge Partner

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Ok thank you Simon. I can understand that from a support basis, it’s better to use the mainline SLES kernel. Have a good SUSECON!

Andrew

[QUOTE=smflood;35090]aferris Wrote in message:
[color=blue]

We are going to be testing a SES 3 deployment very soon. I’ve been
reading the ceph-users mailing list for a while now and one very common
recommendation I see is to run newer kernels such 4.7.x. That made me
wonder what the kernels are for SES - higher version or the stock SLES
ones?[/color]

SUSE Enterprise Storage 3.0 installs as an extension on top of
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1 which has kernel 3.12. It
doesn’t install a later kernel (which makes sense as that would
have support implications).

I’m at SUSECON so will ask the experts about kernel 4.7 comments.

HTH.

Simon Flood
SUSE Knowledge Partner

http://usenet.sinaapp.com/[/QUOTE]

One of the things announced at SUSECon is the release and availability in December of SUSE Enterprise Storage 4[1] which is an add-on for the also announced SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2. I mention this because SLES12 SP2 includes kernel 4.4.

I guess the question to ask is why kernel 4.7 is recommended. If there is a specific feature then it is possible it may have been backported to 4.4 (with SLES12 SP2) or earlier (SLES12 SP1).

HTH.

[1] SUSE Enterprise Storage 4 Solves Large Data Storage Dilemma for Customers | SUSE

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the response. I believe the suggestions on ceph-users for higher kernels is due to features being added to them.And of course those hypothetical features could be back-ported. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific because I’m preparing for our SES3 deployment starting tomorrow.

Andrew

As for lab deploy, the release OS plus actual updates are pretty stable. It is better to actualize updates just after installation before proceed to configure the cluster resources.
Now the OS kernel in a lab is
“Linux deploy 3.12.59-60.45-default #1 SMP Fri Aug 5 13:26:07 EEST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux”

[QUOTE=polezhaevdmi;35275]As for lab deploy, the release OS plus actual updates are pretty stable. It is better to actualize updates just after installation before proceed to configure the cluster resources.
Now the OS kernel in a lab is
“Linux deploy 3.12.59-60.45-default #1 SMP Fri Aug 5 13:26:07 EEST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux”[/QUOTE]

I am patching before deploying so I see this as my current kernel:

Linux [HOSTNAME] 3.12.62-60.64.8-default #1 SMP Tue Oct 18 12:21:38 UTC 2016 (42e0a66) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also I see SP2 is going to 4.4.

Andrew

aferris Wrote in message:
[color=blue]

Also I see SP2 is going to 4.4.[/color]

Yes but isn’t supported with SES3, only with SES4 due in December.

HTH.

Simon Flood
SUSE Knowledge Partner

http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I’ve heard enough about SES4 to want it now - especially around deep sea making ceph-deploy easier.

Andrew