Latest Kernel supported for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3

My company is having few SUSE servers having the SUSE OS version given below.

cat /etc/issue
Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 (x86_64) - Kernel \r (\l).

All of them having the kernel version mentioned below.

uname -r
4.4.180-94.100-default

On checking the SUSE documentation, I could see the latest kernel version supported for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 is 4.4.180-94.100.1 which was from the date July-24-2019

List of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server kernel (version and release date) | Support | SUSE

Can I get any kernel update from this current version for the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 OS.

I tried running the below commands and it was showing no updates found.

zypper list-updates
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
No updates found.

zypper list-patches
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
No updates found.

So how to get the latest update of kernel and do we need to update to SLES12 SP3 - LTSS to get the other kernel updates as mentioned in the link.
List of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server kernel (version and release date) | Support | SUSE

If so how to update from the current OS version to SLES12 SP3 - LTSS to get the other kernel updates. Do we need to take any extra subscription to upgrade from current version to SLES12 SP3 - LTSS and what is the procedure and amount we need to pay for that?

Regards,
Nobin

@nobincjonx Hi, I suspect you will need to move to LTSS or a later version prehaps(?), I’ve asked my SUSE Contacts to get back to this thread with some information for you.

Hello @malcolmlewis1,

Thanks for that info. Appreciate it.
Even if we need to move to LTSS or a later version, what would be the process. Should we buy a new subscription for this. Not sure how it works in SUSE.

Regards,
Nobin

@nobincjonx I sent you a PM for some additional information, did you get this?

I would check the systems via the following command to see the status SUSEConnect --status-text If expired, then you would need to update the subscription.

Hello @malcolmlewis1

I checked the subscription status and its showing Active and will expire only by Feb 2024.
I have attached a screenshot on this. Not sure if you are able to see this image uploaded.

subscription

@nobincjonx Hi So if you check here https://www.suse.com/lifecycle/#suse-linux-enterprise-server-12 LTSS Support ended on 30 Jun 2022 :neutral_face:

So your only option (since you have an active subscription) is to upgrade, to what version would be dependent on your use case, third party applications etc. I would suggest SLES 12 SP5, but you are far better off discussing with the SUSE folks IMHO.

See here for upgrade information https://documentation.suse.com/sles/12-SP5/html/SLES-all/part-update.html

Hello @malcolmlewis1
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your help and prompt reply.
Appreciate it.