Looking for STEP BY STEP for multiple hostname on single ip

I would like to use rancher/docker with multiple containers with multiple hostname in single ip and single server.

I only have one server and one ip.
I would like

abc.hostname.com -> container 1
wp.hostname.com -> wordpress container with a mysql
ror.hostname.com -> ruby on rails container with a postgresql

etc.
I really cannot find any tutorial about this. Most docker is use on single ip. Then I tried rancher myself. I can only make first one working. Cannot work with second and third. I used LB too.

We are using an nginx-proxy container and a letsencrypt companion container to handle this.

With nginx-proxy, you can add environment variables to set the URLs the containers should be available on, e.g.
VIRTUAL_HOST=abc.hostname.com

If you add
LETSENCRYPT_HOST=abc.hostname.com
LETSENCRYPT_email=

Then the companion container will go an create SSL certs for you as well.

This works very well - and is a standard setup on any docker host that we create.

Moving forward, we need to work out how to move this up a level though with HA, LB and a single place for all of the SSL certs we are creating.

Here are the docs on how to set up multiple host name routing rules.

http://docs.rancher.com/rancher/latest/en/cattle/adding-load-balancers/#request-hostrequest-path

Here’s also a blog post when we first came out with the feature.

1 Like

Thanks.

I don’t quite think that will do it.

We have been playing with traefik for a while - and it is almost what we are looking for. But we have run into some limitations that may be show stopping.

What I would really like to see, is for the built-in load balancer in Rancher to be able to dynamically update itself using metadata from rancher when services are started and stopped - exactly like traefik does - but as a native Rancher solution. This should obviously also support multiple SSL certs - and even better with dynamic Letsencrypt support.

I understand new load balancer stuff is coming out with Rancher 1.2. Anyone know what we can expect here?