mount cifs does not work after SP2 upgrade

Hi Forum,

this mount was working on SLES11 SP1
mount //server/share /mnt/share -o username=user,password=password,uid=1000,gid=1000,workgroup=WG,file_mode=0330,dir_mode=0770

after SP2 upgrade:
mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page …

???

Thank you for your support
MiC

mount //server/share/FOLDER … does not work!

mount //server/share … OK

On 07/08/2013 10:14, netzpks wrote:
[color=blue]

this mount was working on SLES11 SP1
mount //server/share /mnt/share -o
username=user,password=password,uid=1000,gid=1000,workgroup=WG,file_mode=0330,dir_mode=0770

after SP2 upgrade:

???[/color]

Do SLES11 SP1 & SP2 refer to the server (where you’re trying to mount
from) or the client (mount to)?

I think you mean client and if so, what OS is server running?

Your follow-up message also says //server/share works but
//server/share/FOLDER doesn’t - since that conflicts with the above
report was that the case with SP1?

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

Hi Simon,
thank you, for your help.

I try to describe:
our SLES11 SP1 Server connects to the network share //fqdn/sharename/foldername (like above described)
yesterday i upgraded our SLES11 SP1 Server to SLES11 SP2. Everything went fine.
Only the mount cifs behavior has changed.
Now it is possible to connect to //fqdn/share but not to //fqdn/share/foldername

if i try to connect to //fqdn/sharename/foldername i get the error

Hi netzpks,

this may have been a regression in the CIFS code (client side). I don’t have a test system at hand atm, but will check once I have access to my testbed again.

Can you verify the versions of both cifs modules (“modprobe cifs” on SP1 and SP2)?

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;14993]Hi netzpks,

this may have been a regression in the CIFS code (client side). I don’t have a test system at hand atm, but will check once I have access to my testbed again.

Can you verify the versions of both cifs modules (“modprobe cifs” on SP1 and SP2)?

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi Jens,

SP1: no result for “modprobe cifs”
SP2: -"-

SP1: modprobe -l | grep cifs ==> /lib/modules/2.6.32.59-0.7-default/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
SP2: modprobe -l | grep cifs ==> /lib/modules/3.0.80-0.7-default/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko

SP1 & SP2:
installed: cifs-mount | Version 3.4.3-1.42.1

Hi netzpks,

“modprobe cifs”

my fault & my apology - make that “modinfo cifs” :frowning:

Sorry,
Jens

Hi Jens,

SP2:

filename: /lib/modules/3.0.80-0.7-default/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
version: 1.74
description: VFS to access servers complying with the SNIA CIFS Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license: GPL
author: Steve French sfrench@us.ibm.com
srcversion: 21C0F989F2614B6537EB320
depends:
supported: external
vermagic: 3.0.80-0.7-default SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm: cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm: cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm: cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm: echo_retries:Number of echo attempts before giving up and reconnecting server. Default: 5. 0 means never reconnect. (ushort)

SP1:

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.32.59-0.7-default/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
version: 1.61
description: VFS to access servers complying with the SNIA CIFS Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license: GPL
author: Steve French sfrench@us.ibm.com
srcversion: 540058F0F094AF79A1047A8
depends:
supported: external
vermagic: 2.6.32.59-0.7-default SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm: cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm: cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm: cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)

Many thanks for your help!

Hi netzpks,

my apologies for the delay, it took me a while to get access to the proper systems. I now was able to test it… and it works for me both for SP1 and SP2.

sp1-host # cat /etc/SuSE-release 
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1
sp1-host # modinfo cifs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32.36-0.5-xen/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
version:        1.61
description:    VFS to access servers complying with the SNIA CIFS Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench@us.ibm.com>
srcversion:     9DFE16BF7490949C21577D4
depends:        
supported:      external
vermagic:       2.6.32.36-0.5-xen SMP mod_unload modversions Xen 
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
sp1-host # mount -ousername=myuser //mysambaserver/share /mnt
Password: 
sp1-host # l /mnt
[... content of root dir of share ...]
sp1-host # umount /mnt
sp1-host # mount -ousername=myuser //mysambaserver/share/subdir /mnt
Password: 
sp1-host # l /mnt
[... content of subdir of share ...]

and on SP2

sp2-host # cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 2
sp2-host:~ # modinfo cifs
filename:       /lib/modules/3.0.80-0.7-xen/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
version:        1.74
description:    VFS to access servers complying with the SNIA CIFS Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench@us.ibm.com>
srcversion:     21C0F989F2614B6537EB320
depends:
supported:      external
vermagic:       3.0.80-0.7-xen SMP mod_unload modversions Xen
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           echo_retries:Number of echo attempts before giving up and reconnecting server. Default: 5. 0 means never reconnect. (ushort)
sp2-host # mount -ousername=myuser //mysambaserver/share /mnt
Password: 
sp2-host # l /mnt
[... content of root dir of share ...]
sp2-host # umount /mnt
sp2-host # mount -ousername=myuser //mysambaserver/share/subdir /mnt
Password: 
sp2-host # l /mnt
[... content of subdir of share ...]

What OS / server software is the server running, the one your SLES server connects to? Unfortunately, I cannot test against MS Windows, I have only Linux servers around…

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens!

Thank you for your efforts!
SLES connects to MS Windows.

Our Developer has adapted the python program. Now: “mount //server/share” and from there it is possible to change to the wanted folders.

Many thanks
netzpks

[QUOTE=netzpks;15461]Hi Jens!

Thank you for your efforts![/QUOTE]

Feedback is important (both negative and positive) and always appreciated. In the past we have we have not actively solicited feedback from the Community and left it up to individual Members to provide feedback (as you did in your post) when they saw fit… but this is changing.

When you, or anyone for that matter, see a post you find particularly helpful you can show your appreciation by clicking on the star below the post. You can optionally leave a brief comment which is always appreciated but it is not necessary.

Clicking on the star assigns reputation points to the poster but more importantly it identifies those posts you find most helpful and notifies both the poster and website administrators. Our goal is to improve the way we support the Community by providing the type of information you find most useful. For that to happen, Members’ feedback is essential!

Thank you.