Newbie needs help

Hi there

I am more or less an absolute newbie with dockers. To come up with a decision if my company will support docker containers in the future I need to check out if there are tools with a graphical interface to manage docker containers.

Rancher on first glance is great. To check out the capabilities I set up a rancher server, what I succeeded so far. I installed it on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server. The GUI is great and now I want to add a host. The host is an Ubuntu 16.04 installation as well with docker 1.12.3. I started the GUI on the server to add a new host and copied the string from the box at the bottom:

The management server has IP 192.168.178.21 and the host 192.168.178.24. On both machines firewalls and apparmor are disabled.

The string looks like:

sudo docker run -e CATTLE_AGENT_IP=“192.168.178.24” -d --privileged -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /var/lib/rancher:/var/lib/rancher rancher/agent:v1.2.0 https://192.168.178.21:8080/v1/scripts/95525EFFAA8AD140F09D:1483142400000:9jxrY5xuRqbQZAAFoJnOGvIQFY

I ran it on the host and no error messages.When I do docker ps no container is shown.

Any ideas, what I am doing wrong here?

Best regards,
Carsten

make sure you are running sudo docker [command], e.g. sudo docker ps. Also, try adding the management server as a host as well and see if that works. If it does I would take a closer look at your dedicated host and see if there is some package or config / security variance between the management server and the dedicated host.