No nginx RC when following along with "Introducing Kubernetes Environments in Rancher" YT video

Hi, everyone.

I 'm working along with the “Introducing Kubernetes Environments in Rancher” YT video. At about 36:00 the presenter spins an nginx pod and it automagically populates k8s with a replication controller. When I do the same kubectl command I get an nginx pod but not the associated RC. Since I don’t have the RC I cannot then follow along and do the scaling operation etc.

Anybody else run into this? Perhaps I’ve done something wrong? Or perhaps the presenter had something pre-configured for the demo to automagically create the RC?

Oh, wow…ok…so this is interesting…

When I try to delete the pod it is getting rescheduled despite the fact that I show no RCs configured…

➜  ~ kubectl get rc  
➜  ~ kubectl get pods
NAME                     READY     STATUS    RESTARTS   AGE
dd-agent-jz0lo           1/1       Running   0          37m
dd-agent-pow79           1/1       Running   0          37m
nginx-2040093540-t756b   1/1       Running   0          2m

➜  ~ kubectl delete pod nginx-2040093540-t756b
pod "nginx-2040093540-t756b" deleted

➜  ~ kubectl get pods                         
NAME                     READY     STATUS              RESTARTS   AGE
dd-agent-jz0lo           1/1       Running             0          37m
dd-agent-pow79           1/1       Running             0          37m
nginx-2040093540-aho5u   0/1       ContainerCreating   0          11s

I was able to track this down after reading through the docs on kubernetes.io…no RCs present but Deployments (the thing which replaces RCs in the latest version of k8s) are present:

➜  ~ kubectl get deployments        
NAME           DESIRED   CURRENT   UP-TO-DATE   AVAILABLE   AGE
nginx          1         1         1            0           3s

So I guess the issue is then that the Rancher k8s web interface is expecting RCs and there is no GUI widget for Deployments.

@nrvale0 the diff between your and demo environment - kubectl version. Yours is 1.2, and demo’s is 1.1. On 1.1, kubectl run command used to create an rc, in 1.2 - deployment.

I’ll file Rancher ticket for exposing deployments panel in the UI.

https://github.com/rancher/rancher/issues/4431

Although I’ve not tried rolling kubetcl back to 1.1, that makes sense. Thanks for the follow-up, @alena.