Kubernetes in Rancher

Hey there. This isn’t really a question but more of a comment that hopefully may spin up a good debate.
I am playing with the latest Rancher release (well, at least i pulled the latest from Docker hub) and I instantiated a K8s cluster. As I was playing with it I instantiated with kubectl (on my mac) a container (kubectl run mynginx --image=nginx). This showed up as a pod in Rancher. Good.

As I was trying to delete that pod (either from the UI or from the CLI) I noticed it kept recreating. After some digging I noticed that the CLI was considering it a “deployment” (and not just a “pod”). As soon as deleted the “deployment” the pod disappeared and never came back.

This reminded me that deployments / jobs have been recently introduced to K8s and perhaps the Rancher K8s distribution doesn’t yet support those (or at least they were not surfaced in the UI). Then I tried to run kubectl version and I noticed that the server version is v1.2.4-rancher10.

Let alone the micro issues I had … I am wondering if 1.2.4 isn’t realistically a too old version to play with? Is there any plan to upgrade to one of the latest K8s versions? The gap between 1.2.4 (May-ish) and the current latest official (1.4.6) seems to be fairly wide.

Thoughts?

Rancher 1.2 builds include Kubernetes 1.4, and have UI for deployments.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks.

Do you have an ETA?

@vincent, I am also playing with Swarm and it seems to be having similar “release problems”. I find myself in troubles trying to connect to the Swarm with this exact problem (https://github.com/rancher/rancher/issues/4145). What I am getting from that thread is that Rancher is moving (rightly so) to supporting “Swarm mode” in Docker Engine 1.12+. When is this going to happen?

Thanks!

Swarm support is coming in 1.2, which is targetted for next week.

if you follow the announcements category in our forums, you’ll receive an email when it GAs.