No Xen Virt. Host Option as Server Base Scenario SLES 11sp2

Just downloaded SLES 11 sp2 and am trying to install it as XEN host on an HP ML310 G4 server (intel virtualization enabled). I do not get the Xen Virtualization Host option on the Server Base Scenario screen during install - just the Physical Machine and Virtual Machine options. When I perform this same type of install with SLES 11 sp1 I do get the Xen Host option and, in fact, this server runs the Xen Host just fine. I am just trying a new install from scratch on a new disk in this server. I am stumped. :frowning: Any ideas? Thanks.

Also, has anybody tried the KIWI imaging solution with Xen on SLES 11 sp2? Sounds like a nice solution for backing up virtual machines.

djhess wrote:
[color=blue]

Just downloaded SLES 11 sp2 and am trying to install it as XEN host on
an HP ML310 G4 server (intel virtualization enabled). I do not get
the Xen Virtualization Host option on the Server Base Scenario screen
during install - just the Physical Machine and Virtual Machine
options.[/color]

Have you tried to just install it as a Physical Machine?

After it is installed you should be able to go to Yast and use “Install
Hypervisor and Tools” to get set up as a Xen host.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

[QUOTE=KBOYLE;4408]djhess wrote:
[color=blue]

Just downloaded SLES 11 sp2 and am trying to install it as XEN host on
an HP ML310 G4 server (intel virtualization enabled). I do not get
the Xen Virtualization Host option on the Server Base Scenario screen
during install - just the Physical Machine and Virtual Machine
options.[/color]

Have you tried to just install it as a Physical Machine?

After it is installed you should be able to go to Yast and use “Install
Hypervisor and Tools” to get set up as a Xen host.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…[/QUOTE]

In fact, I did first install it as a physical machine. Then, when I went into Yast I did not see the “install hypervisor and tools option”. I know, normally, that option is available to do it post install hypervisor.

Is it x86?

http://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP2/#Deprecated.rmwith11sp2

"The 32-bit Xen hypervisor as a virtualization host is not supported anymore. 32-bit virtual guests are not affected and fully supported with the provided 64-bit hypervisor. "

As enovaklbank already mentions, 32bit Xen host servers are not supported anymore. Are you using the 64 bit media?

This bit in your post caught my attention… have not heard of it before in combination with Xen. Where did you read about that, any specific documentation you found on it?

Cheers,
Willem