Patched - Server Will Not Boot

I have a new install of SLES 12 sp3 on a Lenovo SR650 server.

I installed from a USB device.

Configured to boot UEFI.

Changed back to boot from HD after install.

I ran the online updates after the server was installed.

Now the server will not boot. The last entries when it hangs:

OK - Open SSH daemon
OK - Postfix
OK - Command Scheduler
OK - Reached target multi-user system
OK - Reached target graphical user interface
OK - Started update UTMP about system run level changes

When I patched the server I selected all recommended patches. As I always do.

There were several dependencies. I mean a whole lot of dependencies. I selected the “Keep” option.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this.

Thank you!

I have this in the boot order and have moved it to the bottom with boot to HD at the top. SLES-Secure Boot.

Could this be the issue…

[QUOTE=kbannister;58801]I have this in the boot order and have moved it to the bottom with boot to HD at the top. SLES-Secure Boot.

Could this be the issue…[/QUOTE]
Hi
It could be if it’s loading an unsigned kernel module? Else at that point it’s past anything UEFI related as it’s loaded initrd etc. Sounds like a graphics issue (Not running nvidia/proprietary driver)? If you press ctrl+alt+F1 do you get a login prompt, can you ping and/or ssh onto the system?

I re-installed and selected to not use secure password. First time with UEFI so I guess that is procedure.

I’ll patch tomorrow and still not sure what to select when I get all of the dependency popups.

[QUOTE=kbannister;58805]I re-installed and selected to not use secure password. First time with UEFI so I guess that is procedure.

I’ll patch tomorrow and still not sure what to select when I get all of the dependency popups.[/QUOTE]
Hi
You can have both present if you like, on reboot and a new signed kernel requires a screen and keyboard to enroll the new key, sounds like it might be best to not use secure boot?

I will not use secure boot for now.

Any idea if I should replace, keep or remove the dependencies when patching. I have never seen so many dependencies in my entire SUSE life :slight_smile:

Thank you for your assistance!!

[QUOTE=kbannister;58807]I will not use secure boot for now.

Any idea if I should replace, keep or remove the dependencies when patching. I have never seen so many dependencies in my entire SUSE life :slight_smile:

Thank you for your assistance!![/QUOTE]
Hi
Well it has been out for awhile now, so I imagine there is some catchup to do? Perhaps post a list?

On my re-install of this server I did not have any dependencies when patching.

All is well now.

Thank you!!