Problem Message after SLES SP4 Update from SP3

Hello,

I updated our SLES SP3 machine to the new SP4 , but after I reboot the machine it looks fine till the next login. Here I see ever the Message “Unable to authenticate user”.
Why show the system me this message now ?

Can you help me?
Sorry I can’t send an image because I couldn’t insert a local image file.

regards
Chris

Is this message at a GUI, or a TTY-based login? Does it happen if you try
to login via SSH? Are you using Gnome or KDE for the GUI, if applicable?
What do you see in /var/log/messages at the time? Are you using anything
outside the box (LDAP, etc.) for authentication of users?

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.

Hello,
to your question, about the way to connect the server. It will be an virtual machine (VM) of VMware and normally I use the SSH connect to this machine, but sometimes I need to connect direct on these machine over the VWare remote console to make an update like this SP4.
And after I reboot the server new it looks good, if I wait some time an try to connect again over VMware I see this message. I klick OK an the I can me login.

But I believe to know what’s the problem. After I delete the file " .Xauthority " it looks better. OK, I look tomorrow if it will change or not. :slight_smile:

Best regards

Chris

PS: how can I send an image into this thread ?

On 05/30/2017 06:34 AM, ChMueller wrote:[color=blue]

Hello,
to your question, about the way to connect the server. It will be an
virtual machine (VM) of VMware and normally I use the SSH connect to
this machine, but sometimes I need to connect direct on these machine
over the VWare remote console to make an update like this SP4.[/color]

I do not understand why you needed the GUI for the upgrade to SP4; that
should be possible via the command line too. Nevermind that, you have
your reasons besides this I presume.
[color=blue]

And after I reboot the server new it looks good, if I wait some time an
try to connect again over VMware I see this message. I klick OK an the I
can me login.

But I believe to know what’s the problem. After I delete the file "
.Xauthority " it looks better. OK, I look tomorrow if it will change or
not. :)[/color]

If that works, then great. Since this only happens when you go in via
display zero (the main GUI) this is an X problem, and maybe cleaning that
file out fixes it up, which is great. How did you find that as an option,
just out of curiosity?

Good luck.

show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.

Hi,
I would use the GUI to update on SP4 because I think I will be easier use the Online-Update Funktion. Next time I make it with the command line.
Now I make it so, and the update to SP4 works fine with online-update , only this message I ever get if login to the GUI. It just annoys.

Oh, the work with deleting the “.Xauthority” file doesn’t work.

Do you have some ideas how I can solve my little problem?

best regard

Chris

Hi Chris,

[QUOTE=ChMueller;38052]
Oh, the work with deleting the “.Xauthority” file doesn’t work.

Do you have some ideas how I can solve my little problem?[/QUOTE]

we’re still waiting for some more details, like those asked for in ab#s first reply.

Additionally, am I right to assume that it’s not only an annoying message, but rather prevents you from completing the login? If so, are you logging in as a regular user - and will logging in as root and/or logging in via ssh (as user and/or as root) work, while the X login won’t?

Regards,
J

First the information, I use the GNOME GUI.

In the meantime I think that it is perhaps also a cause in the user registration is and I simply have to reset the root password.
Or it is on the VMware page.
It is just a lousy message which I would like to have away. After I have confirmed it, I can log on normally.

regrads
Chris

Hi Chris,

for my taste, those are too many shots into the dark. Personally, I’d rather try to track down the root cause, but whatever works for you is fine, too.

Regards,
J

OK, but you can’t also not answered my question to my problem.
Shortly I wrote, I use an SLES 11 SP4 system which was updated from SP3 an since that time I get the message.
I can login without problems, on the GUI and on SSH, only if I connect from the VM Remote Console I get the written message.
Where can I now look to the problem, is there a config-file which has changed after the update to SSP4 or something else?

Chris

Hi Chris,

[QUOTE=ChMueller;38062]OK, but you can’t also not answered my question to my problem.
Shortly I wrote, I use an SLES 11 SP4 system which was updated from SP3 an since that time I get the message.
I can login without problems, on the GUI and on SSH, only if I connect from the VM Remote Console I get the written message.
Where can I now look to the problem, is there a config-file which has changed after the update to SSP4 or something else?

Chris[/QUOTE]

you’re right that I didn’t provide an answer, as I was waiting for above details and important other:

[QUOTE=ab;38027]What do you see in /var/log/messages at the time? Are you using anything
outside the box (LDAP, etc.) for authentication of users?[/QUOTE]

What also caught my eyes when reading this thread over and over again:

So right after VM reboot, accessing the machine works via VMware console (without the error message), but some amount of time later (how long - seconds, minutes, hours, days?) it does? Have you checked syslog to spot anything interesting reported between the latest successful loginvia VMware console (IOW “without error message”) and the first consecutive unsuccessful login?

Just for checks: The error message actually is created by the server you’re logging in to, so it’s a message box on the X11 screen inside the remote console? (As opposed to a message popped up by the VMware environment.)

Regards,
J

Hi
Sounds like it’s related to this;
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2103604

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

@malcolmlewis
sorry your link will not open !

@jmozdzen
ok , I looked into the message-log and if I try to connect from VM and press the OK button, log me in and also logout again. In this time I see this in messages-log

May 31 14:26:24 lxsapb22 gdm-session-worker[46067]: WARNING: gdm_session_settings_load: lang = (null) May 31 14:26:25 lxsapb22 checkproc: checkproc: can not get session id for process 21788! May 31 14:26:40 lxsapb22 acpid: 1 client rule loaded

also there are nothing outside like LDAP, etc…

And the message on the GUI comes again after some hours, I think 6.

I believe it was an configuration in some file for the X11 server.

regards
Chris

Hi
Strange… It points to this…

Thank you by try to help, but the password expiration time for root was not the problem.

In the check of password settings I see:

lxsaptest:~ # chage -l Minimum: -1 Maximum: -1 Warning: -1 Inactive: -1 Last Change: May 31, 2017 Password Expires: Never Password Inactive: Never Account Expires: Never lxsaptest:~ #

regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

what puzzles me most is that you can actually log in after that message. So generally, authentication works.

An interval of six hours - might it be that you’re facing some “power management” issue, where the system tries to put the (virtual) display to sleep, or to “wake it up” and tries to initiate some follow-up action, which fails because of missing permissions?

Another log you might check is ~/.xsession-errors-:0 (or similar, if your display setup is other than plain simple). If the message originates from some task run after (the actual) login, and that task is missing permissions and/or a way to determine the effective user, it’s error output (in addition to the annoying user message pop-up) might get logged there. I’d suggest to clear out the file before testing (i.e. via ssh), unfortunately there are no time stamps to the contents: It is nothing more than a collection of stdout/stderr of all the programs run from the window manager.

Regards,
J

Hi J

Thanks for your tip, but I do not use Powermanagement and the GUI is always accessible in the login window.
Only after a while does the window appear again. When I log off I see normal the login screen. But after some time …

.xsession-errors has unfortunately also nothing

Well then I’m looking for the cause.

Specially after I updated the system to SP4 this message was show, before with the SP3 all looks good. Stupid

regards
chris

Hi Chris,

sorry that I can’t be of more help atm - some issues are just too complex or “mysterious” to be easily resolved remotely :frowning:

If this really bothers you, you might consider opening a service request with SUSE - the engineers will request a “supportconfig” from you and will then have much more detailed insight into your system.

Regards,
J

Hi J

Thank you very much, and also all others here.
I believe to open a service request to SUSE and hope that they can help me.

If I get news to solve this problem I’ll write it here.

best regards

Chris