Problems bootstrapping SLES11-SP3 and SLES11-SP4 with SM3

Hi. We are testing out SM3 to manage our SLES 11 SP3/SP4 and SLES 12 SP1/SP2 servers. I installed SM3 on a SLES12 server and tried to bootstrap clients on SLES11-SP3, SLES11-SP4, and SLES12-SP1. The Salt bootstrap on SLES11-SP4 and SLES12-SP1 worked ok using the SM3 gui. When I try to bootstrap the SLES11-SP3 client using the same method, very weird things start to occur. After Salt->Bootstrap of the SLES11-SP3 client, the following occurs:

1. The SLES11-SP4 client is removed from Salt->Onboarding and Systems->Overview.
  2. The SLES11-SP3 client is added to Salt->Onboarding and Systems->Overview.
  3. According to Systems->Overview, the base channel for the SLES11-SP3 client is the SLES11-SP4 pool.
  4. On the SLES11-SP3 client, an additional repo is added, “SUSE-Manager-Bootstrap”. The original repos before the bootstrap are still present. For the SLES11-SP4 and SLES12-SP1 clients, all repos were disabled and the only repos present with “zypper lr -E” are those added by SM3 (“susemanager:sles11-sp4-pool-x86_64”, “susemanager:sles11-sp4-updates-x86_64”, “susemanager:sles12-sp1-pool-x86_64”, “susemanager:sles12-sp1-updates-x86_64”).

We have separate activation keys for SLES11-SP3, SLES11-SP4, and SLES12-SP1, each pointing to the correct Base Channel depending on the OS/SP. We are not using “SUSE Manager Default” for any Base Channel. The correct activation key is being selected for each bootstrap.

If I attempt to re-bootstrap the SLES11-SP4 server via Salt->Bootstrap, the following occurs:

1. The SLES11-SP3 client is removed from Salt->Onboarding and Systems-Overview.
  2. The SLES11-SP4 client is added to Salt->Onboarding and Systems->Overview.
  3. The only repo enabled is “SUSE-Manager-Bootstrap”. The “susemanager:sles11-sp4-pool-x86_64” and “susemanager:sles11-sp4-updates-x86_64” repos created by the initial bootstrap have been disabled.

What is going on and how do I fix this?

Just wildly guessing, are you possibly using cloned SLES boxes? For
example you had a box built, cloned the VM, and now the boxes look
identical in some way so changes you make to one apply to the other?

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

[QUOTE=ab;37290]Just wildly guessing, are you possibly using cloned SLES boxes? For
example you had a box built, cloned the VM, and now the boxes look
identical in some way so changes you make to one .[/QUOTE]

Yep, both built in vmware from cloned templates. The SLES11-SP3 and SLES11-SP4 templates are different. The SP4 template was built on top of the SP3 template. How do I work around this? Is there some file common to both because of the cloning that has the same UUID or something like that?

Nice catch!

Will try what is outlined here.

Yes, that is what I would try.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

It worked! Just had to create a new /var/lib/dbus/machine-id on SLES11 and /etc/machine-id on SLES12. Thanks!