pure-ftpd not working properly

Hello all,

I installed SLES12 and been configuring apache, mysql, pure-ftpd, etc…
We normally use pure-ftpd with mysql authentication (so we can add users, pws, directories etc in mysql) but pure-ftpd just doesn’t start.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

webserver162:~ # service pure-ftpd start
webserver162:~ # service pure-ftpd status
pure-ftpd.service - Pure-FTPd FTP server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pure-ftpd.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2015-04-30 17:31:35 CEST; 4s ago
Process: 2928 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pure-config.pl /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2928 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Apr 30 17:31:35 webserver162 pure-config.pl[2928]: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -A -b -c100 -B -C10 -d -z -D -E -fftp -I15 -lmysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd-mysql.conf -L2000:8 -m20 -p30000:30100 -U177:077 -u30 -i -Oclf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -k99 -Z -Y0

Not able to connect with FTP and firewall is configured correctly etc.

Hello,

find out the return status of the command echo $?
from your output it says as dead which means process stopped after you had started.

please check this could be any syntax errors in the config file which might have caused this process not to start

[QUOTE=sunilka;27712]Hello,

find out the return status of the command echo $?
from your output it says as dead which means process stopped after you had started.

please check this could be any syntax errors in the config file which might have caused this process not to start[/QUOTE]

Do you mean this?

webserver162:~ # echo $?

Hi chriskolkman1,

[QUOTE=criskolkman1;27689]Hello all,

I installed SLES12 and been configuring apache, mysql, pure-ftpd, etc…
We normally use pure-ftpd with mysql authentication (so we can add users, pws, directories etc in mysql) but pure-ftpd just doesn’t start.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

webserver162:~ # service pure-ftpd status
pure-ftpd.service - Pure-FTPd FTP server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pure-ftpd.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2015-04-30 17:31:35 CEST; 4s ago
Process: 2928 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pure-config.pl /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2928 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Apr 30 17:31:35 webserver162 pure-config.pl[2928]: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -A -b -c100 -B -C10 -d -z -D -E -fftp -I15 -lmysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd-mysql.conf -L2000:8 -m20 -p30000:30100 -U177:077 -u30 -i -Oclf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -k99 -Z -Y0

Not able to connect with FTP and firewall is configured correctly etc.[/QUOTE]

is there anything informative to be found in “/var/log/pureftpd.log”? What happens if you run the server command manually ("/usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -A -b -c100 -B -C10 -d -z -D -E -fftp -I15 -lmysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd-mysql.conf -L2000:8 -m20 -p30000:30100 -U177:077 -u30 -i -Oclf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -k99 -Z -Y0")?

Regards,
Jens

At the risk of being very unhelpful: SLES 12 doesn’t supply pure-ftpd, and SUSE no longer offers support for pure-ftpd on 12. Vsftpd is the ftp server which SLES 12 supplies. So I’m guessing you obtained pure-ftpd yourself and are attempting to set it up?

Or… did this SLES 12 system come from some upgrade path or beta product, and pure-ftpd is left over from something older? Which may explain it failing on SLES 12.

But to focus more on your actual problem: Two suggestions:

1. You may want try launching pure-ftpd under minimal configuration, and see if it will start:

/usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -B

If that will stay loaded and accept a TCP connection, then you may be able to add in other parameters a few at a time and find one that is the culprit. I’m not saying that all logins and all features which you want will be present with just “-B”, but that is normally enough to establish a baseline. On my SLES 11 I can load with just -B, and still login (in accordance with my pam config… I’m not doing any mysql.)

1. I would guess that manually launching pure-ftpd within strace might give you something verbose enough to find a cause. You could do that with just the -B (if that is enough to fail) or with your entire configuration. i.e:

strace -ttf -o/tmp/strace-ftp-out /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -B

or

strace -ttf -o/tmp/strace-ftp-out /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd -A -b -c100 -B -C10 -d -z -D -E -fftp -I15 -lmysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd-mysql.conf -L2000:8 -m20 -p30000:30100 -U177:077 -u30 -i -Oclf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -k99 -Z -Y0