Question about RKE

I am all new to Rancher and k8s so bear with me
I have a cluster on hand with Rancher version 2.8.3 and RKE version 1.28.11
As i understood that the nginx ingress-controller version is a part of the RKE version deployed .
Because we are hitting that CVE
I would like to update the ingress-controller and for that i will need to go to another version of RKE1 .
I saw in the Release notes of the newest version 2.9.1 that i will have the possibility to have RKE version 1.30.3
How can i know which version of ingress-controller will be deployed if i go to that RKE version.?
Is it possible to update only the ingress-controller version without doing the whole Rancher update ?
Thanks in advance for any clarification

It seems you’re messing between RKE version and k8s version. 1.28 is the maximum k8s version certified for rancher 2.8.3.

This apart, best for you is to keep an eye on that bug to follow rancher efforts concerning this precise CVE

https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1229802#c1

Thank you very much for answering and indeed it seems that i am confusing the two terminologies . from your experience . how will that be addressed ?
there will be a new Rancher version which will support higher K8s version that will include the correct ingress-controller version to mitigate the vulnerability > v1.11.2
cause from what i understand its all a package when you update rancher and then you get to upgrade a cluster from within rancher to higher supported version of k8s

Without any promise, since 2.8 is still the main branch, it will be packed in a new rancher security release (there’s a pre-release 2.8.7rc9 if you’re lucky it’ll be included in it, in bad luck you’ll have to wait for 2.8.8). You’ll have to follow the instructions in the given release to get the fix you’re looking for applied.

1 Like

Thank you alot for your explanation and giving me a clear answer. appreciate it

Hello ,
apologies for bothering again
i could see from Github that 2.8.8 is released but it dose support latest till 1.28.13 , how could i know if the correct ingress-controller version will be applied if i update to 2.8.8 ?

2.8.8 is a Prime only release. I suggest to upgrade to 2.9.2