Question about versioning

Hi all,

I have a question about the versioning. I want to setup a cluster with Rancher, therefore I used RKE v0.2.2. When I create the config with $ rke config there is a question about the Kubernetes Docker image. The default value is rancher/hyerkube:v1.13.5-rancher1. On Docker Hub I can also find the newer Version v1.14.1. I know it is currently experimental, but what is the difference between v1.14.1-rancher1 and v1.14.1-rancher2?
Also I am a little bit confused about the version selection in Rancher itself, when I create a new cluster. kubernetes
Is there also a reason why v0.1.18 of RKE is newer than v0.2.2? Are the any breaking changes between version 0.1 and 0.2?

Best regards,
sike

vX.Y.Z (i.e. v1.14.1) are the upstream k8s version, the rest is packaging; The difference between v1.14.1-rancher1 and v1.14.1-rancher2 specifically is allowing coredns to come from the configured mirror server, which it wasn’t for some reason before (#c1bd3d84).

RKE 0.1.x is packaged with Rancher 2.1.x, 0.2.x with Rancher 2.2.x; 0.1.18 is “newer” just because there’s been a patch for it since the last 0.2.x release.

Okay thanks for the clarification. I understand the changes, but don’t understand the version tags. In Rancher itself I see the versions from the screenshot above. However on Docker Hub I see the following Tags

. Which one will be used and why? Also which should I use in rke?
Maybe the different versions and how they are related to each other should be documented somewhere. Also I find the naming of the packaging is a little bit confusing, because of the two completely different versions of Rancher itself.
As well the install documentation of rke Rancher Docs: RKE Kubernetes Installation shouldn’t be simple reference the latest tag from the repository (Release Release v1.3.1 · rancher/rke · GitHub). Of cource this is the latest release but not the newest version.

Can nobody explain it?