RancherOS on Hyper-V

Hi everybody,
I have recently started using Docker and I’m running on a Windows 2012 server an Ubuntu VM (via Hyper-V) as Docker host. Inside the Ubuntu VM I have an Ubuntu container running a web app.

Now I have to deploy a new application and the idea to create another Ubuntu VM just to run Docker doesn’t seem the best one to me. So I’m looking for lighter alternatives and RancherOS seems to me a good option. So, I’m wondering, if I can install it on Windows 2012 via Hyper-V. Is that possible?

If so, where can I find some information regarding the installation process?

Thanks.

I’ve a good few VMs running RancherOS using Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2. Have never had issues installing or upgrading (other than self harming cloud-config mistakes on my part).

Boot off the iso (hopefully pick up a DHCP IP), get a cloud-config on the host: http://docs.rancher.com/os/configuration/#cloud-config and install to disk: http://docs.rancher.com/os/running-rancheros/server/install-to-disk/.

It obviously not quite as easy as I’ve made it sound but as long as you can pick up a DHCP IP and have a sound cloud-config you’ll be fine.

Thanks for your reply.
What do you put on your cloud-config.yml beside your public SSH keys?

Here’s a basic example with some sysctl settings modified and some useful aliases added to the shell;

#cloud-config
hostname: FAT-CAT-01
ssh_authorized_keys:
  - ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nza...
rancher:
  network:
    interfaces:
      eth*:
        dhcp: false
      eth0:
        address: 10.11.12.99/24
        gateway: 10.11.12.254
        mtu: 1500
    dns:
      nameservers: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]
  sysctl:
    net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_accept: 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_mtu_probing: 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_slow_start_after_idle: 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_adv_win_scale: 2
write_files:
- path: /etc/profile.d/alias.sh
  permissions: "0644"
  owner: root
  content: |
    alias mv="mv -nv"
    alias cp="cp -i"
    alias ll="ls -al"
    alias ip4="ip -4 addr"
    alias ip6="ip -6 addr"
    alias dk="sudo docker"

Does anyone know if the kernel distributed with RancherOS has LIS (Hyper-V equivalent of vmware-tools) built-in, or if there is any way to get LIS running within RancherOS, please?

Thanks.

Don’t understand how to paste ssh key has copy paste doesn’t work for linux guest …