Registering Trail Does Not Activate SUSE Updates

Hi,

I just registered for a 60 trail to get the OS updates using Novell Customer Center Configuration. When I enter my email address and registration code, it say “Your configuration was successful”. I have included a screenshot of the registration status.

After when I click Online Update, I get an message “No update Repository configured yet. Run Configuration workflow now?”

Can you avoid how to correct the above issues?

Thanks

William

Hi William,

SLES updates are obtained from repositories. You can access those repositories if you have active maintenance or, in your case, when you register for the 60 day trial.

Before you can obtain your updates, your system has to be configured to access the necessary repositories.

Did you run the Configuration?

Open “Software Repositories” from the YAST Control Center and verify that the necessary repositories have been configured.

It’s current blank as shown bellow

That explains why no updates are available to you.

You may want to refer to the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 documentation for more information.

If you have successfully registered your product, you should have access to the repositories you need so let’s check a few things.

Open a terminal session. (It’s easier to explain this way)

Using the zypper command lets look at your repositories. (you may need root access)

List All Defined Repositories:

zypper lr

Refresh Repositories:

zypper ref

If you still do not see any repositories, let’s try to register your system again. Be sure to replace the [COLOR=“#FF0000”]red text[/COLOR] with your own specific information:

suse_register -a email=[COLOR="#FF0000"]<user@email.com>[/COLOR] -a regcode-sles=[COLOR="#FF0000"]<your sles code>[/COLOR] -L /var/log/register.log

If you are successful and now see your repositories, you can apply patches:

zypper patch

Please let me know if this works.

[QUOTE=KBOYLE;35840]That explains why no updates are available to you.

You may want to refer to the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 documentation for more information.

If you have successfully registered your product, you should have access to the repositories you need so let’s check a few things.

Open a terminal session. (It’s easier to explain this way)

Using the zypper command lets look at your repositories. (you may need root access)

List All Defined Repositories:

zypper lr

Refresh Repositories:

zypper ref

If you still do not see any repositories, let’s try to register your system again. Be sure to replace the [COLOR="#FF0000"]red text[/COLOR] with your own specific information:

suse_register -a email=[COLOR="#FF0000"]<user@email.com>[/COLOR] -a regcode-sles=[COLOR="#FF0000"]<your sles code>[/COLOR] -L /var/log/register.log

If you are successful and now see your repositories, you can apply patches:

zypper patch

Please let me know if this works.[/QUOTE]

Still have no luck. I have included the output in terminal for the commands you asked me to run. I also included the log file you had me to create. Note I did mask out my email address and registration code for both files.

[ATTACH]214[/ATTACH]

What does the SUSE Customer Center show?

If you haven’t yet created an account you will have to do so using the same email address you used to register your product.
[LIST]
[]Click on the Subscriptions tab to verify you have an active subscription.
[
]
[]If you have an active subscription, click on the link under the Name column. This will show your registered systems.
[
]
[/LIST]
To find out what repositories are available for a specific product:
[LIST]
[]Click on the Base and Extension Products tab.
[
]Click on the appropriate product. In your case that would be SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4
[/LIST]
I see fourteen available repositories for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4. The ones you need to have configured on your system are:
[LIST]
[]SLES11-SP4-Pool (x86_64)
[
]SLES11-SP4-Updates (x86_64)
[/LIST]

If you have gotten this far and everything appears to be okay, you can try to add those two repositories using YaST “Software Repositories” and specify the URL associated with each of those repositories.

Your feedback is appreciated.

I did confirm my subscription is active

I try adding the repo for SLES11-SP4-Updates (x86_64) but run into this issue below

Everything appears to be normal, other than you don’t have access to your repositories.

In the screen shot of your terminal session I don’t see where you refreshed the repositories. Try to force a refresh then see if they show up.

zypper ref [B]-f[/B]

No luck either as shown below. It seems their is some unknown issue preventing my install to register the repo. Is there any suggestions we can try?

William,

Can you DM me with your company details so I can have a look at the Customer Center details for this trial license ?

Thank you
Hans

Thank for everyone provided support for this thread. I will work with Hans to resolve the rest of this issue.

Hi,

I went through exactly same way as william1 did. Except I used permanent istead of trial code (I’m installing SLES 4 SAP on PPC64). I can see my system in SCC “Systems” tab as well as my “regcode” in “Subscriptions” , however It tells me that "You are not currently entitled to use the support system. " on a “Support” tab.
Am I missing some activations?
When I click on host’s details I can even see some credentials. How can I use them? Is zypper aware of it? If not, how can I pass them to zypper ?

[QUOTE=marcinstec;36398]Hi,

I went through exactly same way as william1 did. Except I used permanent istead of trial code (I’m installing SLES 4 SAP on PPC64). I can see my system in SCC “Systems” tab as well as my “regcode” in “Subscriptions” ,[/QUOTE]
Hi marcinstec,

I will try to help you. For future reference, because your issue is a new one, it is better to begin a new thread. If your issue is similar to one described in another thread, feel free to refer to the existing thread.

[QUOTE] however It tells me that "You are not currently entitled to use the support system. " on a “Support” tab.[/QUOTE]I’m not sure what that means:
[LIST]
[]It could mean that you don’t have active maintenance (it could have expired)
[
]If your SUSE account was created by someone else, you may not have been given full access to it.
[/LIST]

[QUOTE]Am I missing some activations?
When I click on host’s details I can even see some credentials. How can I use them? Is zypper aware of it? If not, how can I pass them to zypper ?[/QUOTE]
To be able to access patches and other updates, a number of things must be in place:
[LIST=1]
[]You must have a valid subscription, one that has not expired, and is properly recorded in the Customer Center.
[
]Your system must be properly registered to gain access to the appropriate repositories.
[*]The Customer Center has associated your system with the appropriate repositories.
[/LIST]
zypper talks to the Customer Center to determine which repositories you have access to. In addition to applying patches, you can use zypper to manage and display information about the repositories.

If you have tried to re-register your system, refresh your repositories, and still don’t have access to them, the next step is to check the SUSE Knowledge Base.

When I searched for “system registration”, I found these articles which may be helpful as well as many others you may wish to review.
[LIST]
[]Resetting the SUSE or Novell Customer Center system registration
[
]How to register SLES 12 using the SUSEConnect command line tool
[/LIST]
If after reviewing available Knowledge Base articles you still cannot access any repositories there may be some issues with the back end. You may wish to open a Service Request to have SUSE Support help you. Alternatively, you can come back here and provide more specific information about your system and we will try to help. To begin, we would like you to post the output from these commands:

cat /etc/*release zypper lr
Please let us know how you make out.